Gas ignites, blower not starting

Old 02-01-09, 06:34 AM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas ignites, blower not starting

I've searched the forums but could not find a tread close enough to my issue. My Carrier WeatherMaker 9200 flame roll out switch is opening (error code 13 and 33). After resetting, there is a hum for about 30 seconds (blower does not come on, I think the blower motor used to come on during this time), then the burners ignite. The hum returns again but blower does not come on. The other side of the furnace gets very hot to the touch and the flame roll out switch opens kicking the unit off. Oh, there is a slight odor too. My question is, how do I diagnose what is responsible (just replace motor? Something else?) for the blower not coming on and is this a DIY project?
Thanks in advance for the input.

Old 02-01-09, 07:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Please post the model number of the furnace which can be obtained from the rating plate in the burner compartment of the furnace.

There are two motors which might hum. One is the small motor above the burners called the inducer motor. The other is the large motor in the fan compartment that circulates air around the furnace.

I'm supposing that it's the fan motor that's giving you the hum and the 33 error code. If the fan motor doesn't start the furnace will overheat and could be causing the other error code as well.

It's possible there is a capacitor in the furnace that is bad and causing the motor not to start. Or it could be that oiling the motor will get it to work (does the fan turn freely when you push it or is it stiff and have resistance to turning freely?)

Or you may need a new motor.

It's something of a job to take the fan assembly out and apart to get the motor out. Whether that's a job for you or a repairman is for you to say.

Old 02-03-09, 10:02 AM
X
Update

SeattlePioneer - Thanks for the reply. I am traveling right now and can not get to the model number. But I did contact a carrier HVAC person who gave me this some tips. He too said it sounded like the blower motor, but before I replace it (which on this unit he described was a DIY job for someone somewhat handy) I should try to switch a couple of leads on the PCB. Specifically switch the HEAT and SPARE 1 leads. He said this would use a different starting coil on the motor. To my surprise it worked...and is still working. I'm told this may or may not be a permanent fix; that depends on the damage done while the motor was not functioning properly.
First wanted to share this with others as at least a get through the night / weekend solution. And I am interested if anyone has further insight into the permanency of this solution. Thanks.

Old 03-11-09, 08:18 AM
K
Could you post a shot or better description of this process? I think I have the same problem and would like to try it but being a not so wiring diagram literate but still kind of handy guy, I need a little help identifying where things are.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: