Help! Carrier furnace dreaded clicking noise

Old 02-01-09, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help! Carrier furnace dreaded clicking noise

ok guys, had great luck last time, so figured i'd give it another try.

here is the info on my system:

http://forum.doityourself.com/air-co...s-cooling.html

the model is 58SSB130-bc
series 120
Serial # 0988C75815

Anyhow,

on heat setting, with the blower set to auto:

the furnace is equipped with a spark ignitor.
the pilot goes on, i can see the flame, it then goes out (you can hear the gas valve shut down) and 5 seconds later it does it all over agin. the inducer fan DOES not go on.

question is, is the inducer fan supposed to turn on when the pilot is on?

I tried turning the inducer fan a bit to see if it is seized up and it turns freely.

so, is it the inducer fan or is it the heat sensor that verifies that the pilot is on?

thanks in advance you guys rock!
keep up the good work.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-09, 08:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My comments are based on the way the original circuit board for the furnace operates.

The inducer motor should be among the first things that turn on when the thermostat calls for heat. If the inducer motor doesn't turn on, the pilot burner shouldn't turn on and light.

So ---- are you saying that the inducer motor shuts off at some point, or that it never turns on at all?

Does the inducer motor get warm or hot, implying that it's tried to start? I'd pull the plug to the inducer motor apart and see if 120VAC is present to start the inducer motor when the thermostat calls for heat.

Old 02-01-09, 10:05 PM
I did find an instruction manual for your ICM 275 replacement board:

http://www.icmcontrols.com/downloads/icm275_ag.pdf

The new board shouldn't affect the comments I made in my last post.

Old 02-02-09, 06:05 PM
If this is a 3 wire pilot and you are sure the t'stat is not opening I would say is the hold coil in the valve. If my memory serves me the inducer on that model comes on after the pilot is on. Strange I know. There is a way to test the valve if you are sure of your ability. Let us know.
After re-reading your post I don't know now if you did some miss-wiring. We can still test the valve if you wish.

Old 02-02-09, 07:52 PM
think i might have figured something out......

ok, so quik update, i started reading lots of posts, and was pretty sure that I had narrowed the issue down to either:
1-pilot heat sensor
2-ignitor
3- some inducer related issue

The pilot lit, so I figured it was not the ignitor

so now it was either the sensor or the inducer.

I tried moving the inducer fan a bit and as I said befre it was not siezed.... however the inducer motor was NOT going on when the heat was trying to start.

so, using a small rubber stick I tapped the inducer controller board relay, and Voila! the inducer motor kicked on and the system started. It stopped a few minutes later. I turned the lights off and tapped the relay again, I could see blue sparks INSIDE the relay, under the white cover. I tapped it and the Relay kicked on, so I shut the power ans unscrewed the relay board and shook it around a bit, the system is now working as it should.

Here is the question: ICM makes a main controller board that costs $50 shipped (ICM275) instead of the ridiculously overpriced carrier one ($250), however I do not see any "generic" inducer boards (only 313680-751), even though the inducer board has like 1/10th the parts and is less than 1/4 ther size.... any reason why?

the price for these inducer control boards is terribly expensive, almost tempted to try to just replace the relay itself (i know, i know, NOT RECOMMENDED)

Old 02-02-09, 10:55 PM
As it happens, I have the inducer circuit board you need, part 313680-751. It's new and in the original box with instructions for installing it, some additional parts to be installed along with the circuit board and updated circuit diagrams to reflect the changes made.

It's leftover inventory from the furnace repair business I operated and sold off.

The price would be $125 including shipping.

Let me know if you would be interested.

Old 02-03-09, 05:51 PM
inducer board

While I honestly appreciate your kind offer, that board can be had new from several reputable vendors for almost half that shipped.

cheers