Mectron Ms Burner

Old 02-04-09, 09:44 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mectron Ms Burner

Hi folks new here to the group. I live here in Northern Ontario in the middle of no where. Nice place though and we love it. Thing is we heat mostly by wood but have oil back up. My oil tank line coming into the house this year froze up as it went down to minus 45 for a few nights. Now that it is warmed up I was trying to get the oil burner to run. What happened was the line froze and it of course run out of oil. I was going to bleed it today but not exactly sure of which bolt, nut, screw to turn. I see a 3/8 nut, sliver probably a bolt that could be it as it looks like it is right where the oil line comes into the burner. Just above it though is another one looks the same but is black with screw in the middle of it. So not sure which one I should loosen to let the air out. It is a Mectron M 3 burner. Thing is there is its hard to get anyone to fix these things when you need it. I am a pretty handy feller just need a bit of advice once and awhile. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks George. gw@theoldcraftsman.com

Old 02-04-09, 09:50 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'am not familiar with a Mectron - sure its not a Riello?
Anyway, must oil pumps have a bleeder valve on the lower right side of the pump

Old 02-04-09, 09:55 AM
G
Yep Your right

Originally Posted by dun11
I'am not familiar with a Mectron - sure its not a Riello?
Anyway, must oil pumps have a bleeder valve on the lower right side of the pump
Hi there yep your right sorry about that it is a Riello. Looking at the pump on the right side there is a nut, plug near the bottom. Just above it is another the same size but has a screw that one could turn in the center of it not sure if that is what I should turn or just loosen the bottom one

Old 02-04-09, 10:30 PM
P
Originally Posted by Georgeca
Hi there yep your right sorry about that it is a Riello. Looking at the pump on the right side there is a nut, plug near the bottom. Just above it is another the same size but has a screw that one could turn in the center of it not sure if that is what I should turn or just loosen the bottom one
Look at this picture.
http://www.chronos-historical.org/burner/2.jpg

The plug below the one with the screw is the one you want.
DO NOT turn that screw. It is the fuel pressure adjuster.

Old 02-05-09, 04:30 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thats the one......good luck

Old 02-05-09, 07:07 AM
G
Thanks

Thanks folks sure means a lot to me. The picture you sent me was right on. Ok soon as it warms up a bit so I can get out there and thaw my line out, will bleed the lines and see if she works. Much appreciated. minus 30 here this morning. Almost needed to put my long sleeve shirt on. Have a good one. George

Originally Posted by pfd27
Look at this picture.
http://www.chronos-historical.org/burner/2.jpg

The plug below the one with the screw is the one you want.
DO NOT turn that screw. It is the fuel pressure adjuster.

Old 03-14-09, 07:06 AM
M
Bleeding it

I'm sure you may have figured it out by now, thats really cold out there, we hot just 20 degrees in Portland OR and I worry about my outside tank and the oil getting thicker. Never had a problem though, but that not near as cold as -40 I've bleed my system, not at the burner, but close to it by the garbur filter just after the shutoff valve, I used an $8 suction pump from harbor freight, worked decent, but I run a 2 lines system, so there is no need to bleed it out 100%. If I were you, I would consider building a shed around my outside tank at those temperature , that alone would keep it warmer, then putting in a cheep heater to raise it to 10 degree would help.

Old 03-14-09, 07:14 AM
M
pfd27, I've heard people talk about changing the fuel strainer screen, from the picture you sent, is it the cover off to the left of the nut that has the 4 philips screws and is round in the middle?

Old 03-14-09, 12:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Mulletmaster

If you are talking about the screen on a Riello, yes it is behind the cover held on either by 4 phillips head of 5/32" allen head screws. If you remove the cover make sure you have a spare o-ring on hand. If it comes out of the groove in which it sits you will not likely get it back it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: