Old Floor Furnace

Old 02-05-09, 07:00 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old Floor Furnace

I replaced an old B60 floor furnace valve with a new B67, it was the only one I could find and looked equal. This unit is controlled by a wall thermostat and new pilot generator.
The problem is the flame, it is large with lot of yellow, I tried a new regulator and adjusted the oxygen source wheel and find the same results. What should I do or try next ?

Old 02-05-09, 07:53 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Call PG&E and have them adjust. You probably have messed up the input by now and it could be a dangerous situation. May I ask why you needed to replace the B-60 Also which pilot generator do you have?

Old 02-05-09, 09:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I agree that you need a competent repairman to set up the floor furnace for you. Also with an old floor furnace, it's critical to have the maintenance that often hasn't been don completed. That means inspecting the heat exchanger for cracks and holes, inspecting the vent pipe for crack and holes, and inspecting and cleaning the chimney as needed.

Old floor furnaces can still be good heating equipment, but rather commonly they don't get the maintenance work needed done, and then they can be dangerous.

In addition, a good DIY project is to left off the top grate, pull out the air baffles in the well of the floor furnace surrounding the heat exchangers and vacuuming out all the accumulated junk that has fallen down through the grate in recent decades. Once that stuff is gone, coll air will be able to fall down to be heated easier and then rise up past the heat exchanger.

Old 02-06-09, 11:57 AM
R
I replaced the B60 because gas flow would not completely shut off, leaving a continuous low flame across the entire burner. The pilot generator is a new, off the shelf type that I fabricated a bracket to hold in proper position. The pilot stays lit, the transition from idle to heat is smooth, the only issue is the height of the flame. The flame has approximately 1/2 inch of blue, with two to three inches of yellow, which seems greater than the original. I will be pulling the burner unit out today and I can post a picture if this forum supports it. Thanks for responding.

Old 02-06-09, 04:51 PM
R
I took more time with adjusting the air mixture and was able to overcome the problems I listed, the furnace is working fine and I do not have continued problems. Thank you to who replied.

Old 02-06-09, 05:09 PM
The problem is, your furnace may have problems you don't recognize. That is very common. So in an effort to protect myself from the claims of plaintiff's lawyers if your negligence leads to deaths or serious injuries, I once again urge you to have a competent repairman inspect your equipment to make sure that it's safe to operate.

Not that I expect you to listen to that advice.

Old 02-06-09, 07:05 PM
M
At the minimum call PG&E and ask them to clock the input for you.

Old 02-07-09, 07:23 PM
R
I will call pg&e to do a safety inspection. Thanks again. seatle pioneer, easy does it.

Old 02-07-09, 07:33 PM
It's easy to be over confident.

I described my suggestions for routine maintenance and inspections on your old floor furnace earlier. I think these can provide a good source of home heating, but they are too often neglected.

And a new gas valve needs to have the input set properly.

You are making the right decision.

Old 02-09-09, 07:38 PM
R
My PG&E appointment is scheduled for Feb. 23rd, I will update this forum after that date.

Old 02-09-09, 07:44 PM
M
Originally Posted by riderdnf
My PG&E appointment is scheduled for Feb. 23rd, I will update this forum after that date.
They put you out that far or was that your idea?

Old 02-26-09, 05:11 PM
R
Sorry it took so long to respond.
mbk3, it was the appt they gave me, but no one was living in the house during that time, and the heat was off.
On the 23rd, I was fortunate to have a very pg&e service tech with 33 years of experience. I inquired about clocking the input, and he stated he could do it, but all the tag information (btu output, etc) was no longer visible. After a thorough inspection, he believed the air adjustment was the only item out of range. I sqeezed my fat belly between the pipes and basement wall, and adjusted the air as he watched from above, advising as the flame reacted. We were able to achieve a stable blue flame with a yellow tip, and with proper starting and stopping valve actions.
I now have a signed copy of the pg&e service check for all the gas appliances, that they are operating properly.
I have since rented the home, comfortable that I have taken all precautions for proper gas appliance functions.
Thanks again for your responses.

Old 02-26-09, 06:55 PM
M
Glad you were able to get it done. Thanks for coming back with the info. Did you happen to get the guys name?

Old 02-26-09, 09:15 PM
R
I'd have to look at the service tag, I'll pull it from the file and get back to you.

Old 02-26-09, 09:30 PM
When you have some time, I'd still clean out the baffles from the top of the floor furnace as I described earlier. Take the grate off then pull the baffles out and use a vacuum to clean all the junk and dust that's accumulated, perhaps over several decades.

It will improve the airflow through the wall furnace, reduce a possible fire hazard and increase the efficiency of the furnace by stripping more heat from the furnace.

And it's usually a pretty easy job, a half hour or so.

Old 02-27-09, 12:18 PM
R
I looked at the name on the service tag, and it is chicken scratch, so no name to pass on.

Sierra P, I actually took the burner and bottom plate of the floor furnace completely out and cleaned it, like you mention, tons of nasty debris. The unit is in as new of condition as possible, the metal is old and thick, so no pin holes.

The new tenant has moved in and I am done there until there is a maintenance need, it just so happens another rental is becoming vacant, but I had replaced an old manual lighted heater, with a stand alone, vented Kozy.

Old 02-27-09, 04:30 PM
Good job Rider!

Personally, I'm kind of a fan of old floor furnaces. They are nice, relatively simple pieces of heating equipment, and simplicity is an underrated virtue these days, in my opinion.

But old floor furnaces too often have their maintenance needs neglected. So I'm glad to hear you have done a good job of making sure your equipment is safe to continue to operate.

One last issue, and that's inspecting the vent pipe for holes, gaps, deterioration or corrosion. Again, that can be a problem on old equipment that tends to sit out of the way. If you or your repairmen haven't checked that out, take a good look at that vent pipe with the aid of a flashlight the next time you are over at your rental.

Old 02-27-09, 07:30 PM
M
Originally Posted by SeattlePioneer
Good job Rider!

Personally, I'm kind of a fan of old floor furnaces. They are nice, relatively simple pieces of heating equipment, and simplicity is an underrated virtue these days, in my opinion.

But old floor furnaces too often have their maintenance needs neglected. So I'm glad to hear you have done a good job of making sure your equipment is safe to continue to operate.

One last issue, and that's inspecting the vent pipe for holes, gaps, deterioration or corrosion. Again, that can be a problem on old equipment that tends to sit out of the way. If you or your repairmen haven't checked that out, take a good look at that vent pipe with the aid of a flashlight the next time you are over at your rental.
BINGO....ain't that the truth

Old 03-01-09, 04:41 PM
R
Some years ago, when I reroofed the place, I had all of the vent pipe replaced by a local plumbing establishment. I ensured a quality double walled pipe was used the entire track, the old vent was humped low in a section and looked delapitated.

Thanks for the advise, you guys have kept me thinking this whole chore.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: