Beckett burner requiring daily reset

Old 02-07-09, 11:18 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Beckett burner requiring daily reset

I've been all over the place on this one and really need some new ideas. The system is a Thermopride furnace with a Beckett AF oil burner and R8184G primary. The oil supply is a top feed from the tank. The unit is in a rental home. About a week ago I got a call from the tenant saying the furnace did not come on. I pushed the reset on the primary and it fired up w/o hesitation. I changed the oil filter, nozzle, and did a thorough cleaning of the combustion chamber and flue piping. I checked out the cad cell and primary and all seemed well. The next day again I had to push the reset. I replaced the primary and cad to known good units, and hung around for several hours while the system heated the house. I was not there however when the unit stopped calling for heat, although I did stop and start the system simulating that the thermostat had reached temperature. The next day the same. My gut says it's the fuel supply but I cannot understand why it would fire instantly each time I push the reset. Any ideas?

Old 02-07-09, 12:46 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It sounds like you understand oil burners. Every single thing would have to be looked at, I'd say. I bet you knew that and were hoping.

Could be bad fuel, picking up gunk, partial clogged screen, partial blocked nozzle, electrical glitch anywhere, a blower not coming on every time, some sporadic problem in secondary, coating on electrodes diverting spark to ground rather than to spark every time, electrode gap setting a little off, and probably more stuff.

Old 02-07-09, 01:47 PM
P
Has anyone ever set up the burner with test equipment?

Old 02-07-09, 02:02 PM
R
Problem solved - restricted fuel line. This was my initial thinking when I called the oil company to find out when I last received a delivery. I thought perhaps I was out of fuel. What fooled me is that the system worked upon reset for an entire day and when I replaced the filter element fuel flowed. I should have blown out the line at that time. Thank you for your responses. This is a great site.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: