Hooking up a booster fan

Old 02-09-09, 06:45 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hooking up a booster fan

I have a Weather King furnace and I want to wire a booster fan I have on a long duct run so it will only come on when the furnace runs. My old Chrysler furnace was easy, I just wired it to the motor leads, no problem. This one is a bit trickier and i'm not quite sure how to tap it in. I bought a 24vac relay and wired the blower through it thinking I could tap it off the stat wiring but I'm a bit hesitant to do it since I'm not getting 24VAC anywhere on the stat wires when it's calling for heat. I sure don't want to fry the circuit bd. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful.

Old 02-09-09, 07:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Post the make and model of the furnace from the rating plate in the burner compartment of the furnace.

Old 02-10-09, 04:30 AM
B
Weather King Model # 90RJO7EFS01, serial #GE50907F040408927 Manufacture date of 1/04. Sorry I omitted that bit of critical info.

Old 02-10-09, 05:23 AM
S
your not getting fan off the stat in the heating call because the fan cycles thru the furnace heating circuit.might want to just do the same with directly to the motor leads or where they come off the circuit board.adding a relay will put an added load on the TR,fuse and board itself.....just grab the 115V when the fan starts off the board.other choice add a 115V relay...catch the fan cycle off that board,and close 115v from someplace else to run the motor......ISOLATING/keeping all extra loads either they be 24V control or 115V motor amps away is a good practice so you don't lose the board in the middle of a cold night $$$$ cycle

Old 02-10-09, 05:39 AM
B
I considered wiring to the motor again but there are 4 leads going off the board to the motor, white (neutral Obviously) black red and blue. I'm guessing that has something to do with different speeds of the motor, but I have always heard it running at one speed. I can put a tap off one of the motor terminals to feed the booster, but not keen on blowing the relay on the board due to the added load. So I guess its back to a relay to control it again. I can check the motor leads while its running to determine which one is hot and take it from there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: