Arcoaire Inducer Blower Seized / locked

Old 02-10-09, 05:00 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Arcoaire Inducer Blower Seized / locked

Hello,

I have a Arcoaire Furnace Model N8MPN075B12A1 whose ignitor stopped glowing. I took a close look and found the inducer fan on the top was in a locked state. When I turned the cooling vane that was connected to the inducer motor, I un-locked the motor. But as soon as I turned on the power, the inducer fan rotated for half a revolution and then created a loud clunk and seized again. I belive something is wrong about the fan, unless there is some sort of fan blade stopping mechanism? Please help me clarify the situation about this fan. Is this a case of broke fan blade? What does it take to fix it? Thanks a lot!

Hsieh

Old 02-10-09, 06:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There is no brake on the fan blade.

You need to examine the motor and fan blade with care. If you are lucky there may be something jamming up the fan that can be removed that will restore service. If not, you are looking at replacing the inducer motor assembly, which includes the motor, fan and sheet metal that screws into the furnace housing, making replacement easy.

Replacing just the motor (if you can get it) would involve getting the fan off the shaft, often a difficult job.

And check the fan blade for debris, corrosion, missing blades or whatever. The fan needs to be in good condition to do it's job.

Old 02-10-09, 07:44 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mr. SeattlePioneer

Thank you for the insight!

I tried earlier to undo the blower from the furnace (3 screws holding it). When it came loose, I was unable to get it out due to the fact the gas line (connect to the SmartValve) was in the way. I believe the blower motor is in good shape. I also noticed there were another 3 screws that attach the motor/wheel subassemably to the metal scroll housing. I thought if I undo those screws I might be able to get the subassembly out and to inspect it. When it comes to replacing part, maybe I can just replace the wheel (assuming something is wrong with that) or the wheel motor subassembly.

Any further comments are welcome.

Hsieh

Old 02-11-09, 05:52 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
These are normally sold and replaced as complete assemblys, if you have a "United Refrigeration" supply house in your area your in business

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: