Furnace won't light

Old 02-16-09, 11:10 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Furnace won't light

Hello all, I have a carrier 58RAV095-16116, and for some reason it won't light by itself. Everything seems to be working, (I can light it manually) but it just doesn't start on it's own. It trys to start four times, then goes off and the LED signals 34. I'ts suppose to have an electric pilot, but I'm not sure where that is, or how to test if it is working. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you, Dennis

Old 02-26-09, 08:00 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
58rav095-16116

This unit has a hot surface ignitor, no pilot.
look on the door of the unit for the fault codes.
the igniter is located in front of one burner at either end. there is also a flame rod located on the opposite end. clean with steal wool.
the ignitor has a white ceramic base with a black eliment it should glow for about 15-20 seconds and then the gas should come on. it sounds like the ignitor

darryl

Last edited by Shadeladie; 02-26-09 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Advertising not allowed.
Old 02-26-09, 10:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hello ddog,

Since you can light the burners manually, that suggests that the hot surface ignitor isn't glowing on it's own to light the gas, or I would presume you would have mentioned that.

So more than likely the HSI is burned out and needs to be replaced. You can use an ohmmeter to measure the resistance across the HSI --- infinite resistance indicates a burned out ignitor.

Or you can remove and inspect the HSI. Usually you will see a small crack in the ceramic material, often outlined with a bit of whitish powder. Replace the HSI if it's cracked.

You might want to buy two and have a spare available for the next time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: