Q about furnace humidifier and hot water feed

Old 02-23-09, 12:45 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Q about furnace humidifier and hot water feed

I recently had problems with my humidifier. Our HVAC company determined the water feed line and saddle valve were gummed up. They replaced the line and valve, but instead of putting it back on the cold water line, they placed it on the hot water line.

Our repair man's explanation was hot water dissipates faster. While I understand the benefits of putting the line on the hot water line, it concerns me we will use of ton of energy (money!) on heating that much water. We leave our fan on 24/7 and we live in Indianapolis, so our winters are fairly cold. I am worried about our gas bill to heat that much water.

Am I off-base with my concerns? I don't know much about HVAC-has anyone else had a similar experience?

Old 02-23-09, 05:00 PM
D
well...i always install my humidifiers with hot water because you get more humidity w/hot water. especially if you are installing one on a heat pump.
the humidistat is only going to let the water flow when there is a need for humidity. even if you have your fan running all of the time.
if you were not having problems with it on the cold side and you were satisfied w/ the humidity...switch it back

Old 02-23-09, 05:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Hot water

Unless there is constant drainage from the humidifier you are probably only looking at a couple of gallons a day at most. The usualy "reason" for connecting to a hot water line is there are somewhat less contaminants in the hot water due to their precipitating out in the water heater.

Old 02-23-09, 05:09 PM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The heat from the hot water will not be wasted since it will go into heating your house. Their should be a trickle of water going down the drain when the humidifier is on. The water going down the drain should be at room temperature. This excess water washes the build up off the water panel.
If their isn't any run off the water panel will be plugged within a few months.
Keep it on the hot water.

Old 02-23-09, 05:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Water Panel

IF it is a panel type humidifier Beltline Htg. is correct. If the humidifier has a foam pad or it is a direct spray type there should not be drainage. Personally, I remove 10 humidifiers for every one I install. Around here, they cause more trouble than they cure.

Old 02-23-09, 08:46 PM
I took a reading on mine, incoming water temp is 124˚, and water coming out of the drain is 66˚.

The hot water is added to the air along with the humidity. I never saw a jump in my gas bill this way.

From my experince, the humidifier is best to only come on with call of heat, rather than with fan ON.

Old 03-01-09, 01:17 PM
M
Thank you for the responses. I appreciate it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: