Furnace glow plug

Old 02-24-09, 06:35 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Furnace glow plug

I have a Rheem gas furnace that is about 13 years old. We had a problem with it about 4 years ago where the furnace would come on and you would hear the gas valve click and nothing happened and it shutdown. We had a service man come out and he changed the glow plug in it and we were good to go. Seems the same thing started happening this morning at home. Wife called and said that the furnace comes on, you hear the click ( usually you can see the bright orange glow of the plug but that doesn't seem to be happening) then it shuts down. My question is is it likely this is the proiblem again and more important is this normal to go through glow plugs this soon. I know the furnace starts quite a bit during the winter and this has been an exceptionally cold one this year in New York. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-24-09, 07:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The glow plug is called the hot surface ignitor. Replacing one after four years would not be especially unusual. I'd buy a spare ---- they are usually pretty easy to replace, and as you've discovered diagnosing the problem is usually pretty easy.

You will probably find a crack in the HSI--- the most common reason they fail.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: