What would cause the burner's reset button to trip?

Old 02-25-09, 07:09 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What would cause the burner's reset button to trip?

Greetings,

Twice in two days I woke in the early morning hours to find the heat had not been on. I simply had to push the reset button on the oil burner itself to fire things back up.

What would cause this and is it signs of something starting to go wrong? It has never done this before.

Old 02-25-09, 08:15 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The burner could be locking out for several reasons. When was the last time you had a good cleaning/annual maintenance performed on the unit ? Yes, it could be a sign of worse things to come. However, a good cleaning may very well correct it.

Old 02-25-09, 04:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Have to reset

I too would suggest, at a minimum, a tune up. It could be something as simple as a dirty fuel system. Having to hit the reset is a common complaint but the causes are numerous & sometimes elusive even for an experienced tech.
When you reset & the burner fires, is there any smoke or unusual sounds such as a rumbling from the heater?

Old 02-25-09, 08:31 PM
G
Originally Posted by dun11
The burner could be locking out for several reasons. When was the last time you had a good cleaning/annual maintenance performed on the unit ? Yes, it could be a sign of worse things to come. However, a good cleaning may very well correct it.
I just had it cleaned and serviced in October 08' just before the heating season. No unusual signs or rattling occur when it is fired back up.

Old 02-25-09, 09:35 PM
M
Push the red button

If you are having to reset it is not recognizing the flame, the igniters need to be removed and cleaned as well as the spray nozzles. Sad to say but just because you already paid for this does not mean you got it.

Old 02-26-09, 08:45 AM
G
Originally Posted by mike n
If you are having to reset it is not recognizing the flame, the igniters need to be removed and cleaned as well as the spray nozzles. Sad to say but just because you already paid for this does not mean you got it.
Thats good to know for when I have their a$$ back out here.

Old 02-26-09, 09:35 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Did you by any chance allow your self to run out of oil at any time this season ?

Old 02-26-09, 07:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Flame

If when you reset it the heat stays on until the thermostat is satisfied, it IS recognizing flame. The trouble could be caused by a weak ignition transformer, dirty fuel system, burner motor with a failing start switch, or a dozen other possibile problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: