York Diamond80 dead- please help!

Old 03-01-09, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York Diamond80 dead- please help!

Hello and thanks for your time. I have a York Diamond 80 that is not working. It started a few days ago. The thermostat called for heat but nothing happened. My husband pressed the door switch and everything was fine. When he switched the blower from auto (@ t stat) it started. Now, that doesn't even work. When he presses the door switch, the blower turns on, the igniter ignites then dims, there's one blink on the indicator light and shuts off. (the one blink indicates "lock out and check") Please respond with any advice. It's now 59 inside and the low is supposed to be 8 tonight. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-09, 05:20 AM
You state that when your husband presses the door switch unit runs. Are you trying to run the unit with the panel "door" off ?

Old 03-02-09, 07:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
York

It is locked out for some reason. Make sure the valves in the gas line are on. Does the small exhaust blower run? Vent clear?

Old 03-02-09, 05:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by needhelpplz View Post
, the igniter ignites then dims, there's one blink on the indicator light and shuts off.
I would have posted longer Sunday, but *I* had a service call for no heat. I tried to coach the old man over the phone and he said the ignitor would indeed glow, and he smelled a puff of gas, and the ignitor then dimmed (shut down).

When *I* got to try it, it worked. Three times in a row. But I knew it was just my Midas touch, and it would fail again, the moment I left. The ignitor glowed only orange, and not that real bright yellow. It ohms tested at 468!!, and you could see the crack in it forming with the faint hint of white residue!! Could not believe it even ignited. the times it did. Interesting. Then my luck ran out and it failed. I happened to have a used one (typical, flat, rough black HSI, mounted on that white ceramic base) that I thought just may work long enough till I could get a new one early in the week. That (used)one tested at 165 ohms, but she fired up every time.

I thought I'd share this, as we often discuss how to test HSI's here and what the ohms should be when tested across the 2 wires. (I have a feeling the poster had to get the furnace fixed last night, and by some means, did.)

BTW -This too was on a York furnace.