Beckett AFG oil burner

Old 03-02-09, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Beckett AFG oil burner

Have a Beckett oil burner at my Mother in laws house. For the past 2 weeks the burner will only run for about 1 day. When the unit trips you must tap the fuel pump (I use the handle of a screwdriver) then push the reset button. The burner runs fine for about 1 to 1 1/2 days, then repeats the trip. We have checked the coupling (OK), had the transformer tested (70 cycles), cleaned the trash screen in the fuel pump, bled the pump, but still the same problem. Not quite at my witts end but getting close.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-09, 03:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Beckett

What happens if you don't tap the fuel pump?
It sounds like you may have a bad start switch in the burner motor but intermittent problems like this can be hard to troubleshoot.

Old 03-02-09, 04:05 PM
If I don't tap the pump the motor (and pump) run for about 1 min then shut down and the reset button pops out. After several times when I tap the pump and the burner lights off I get some black smoke ,which indicates that the pump was putting oil into the combustion chamber.

Old 03-02-09, 05:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Motor Runs

Since the motor starts, I don't believe it is a motor problem. As you stated, oil is being sprayed into the chamber. With these symptoms & the pump screen already being done, I would suggest changing the nozzle & fuel filter. Flush the fuel system well before installing the new nozzle.
I don't understand "70 cycles" on the transformer. The electrodes should be 1/16" ahead of the nozzle, 5/16-7/16" above nozzle center, & 5/32" apart.

Old 03-02-09, 05:34 PM
The 70 cycles refers to the number of times my plumbing and heating supplier tested the transformer i.e. they turned it on and off 70 times trying to get it to fail or lock up. It didn't.

Old 03-02-09, 05:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Transformer

That test is almost meaningless. One of the best & easiest tests is to use a WELL INSULATED screwdriver. Disconnect the small line from the pump & point it into a container. Open the transformer & start the burner. Lay the screwdriver blade across the two springs & draw it away from one spring. The arc should be blue with a crisp sound & maintain the arc at least 1/2 way to the other spring.