Ran out of oil, line won't bleed

Old 03-03-09, 06:56 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Ran out of oil, line won't bleed

Hi Everyone,

My oil furnace ran out of oil today and I got the guys to come out and put in another 100 gallons.

I went down and tried to prime the fuel pump like I do when I start up the furnace for the first every winter and it wouldn't bleed. When I opened the bleed valve and hit the reset button a bunch of foamy fuel came out for a few seconds and then nothing.

I reset it probably 10-15 times thinking it just needed to get it all out but then I started to notice that no air was really coming out when I put my finger of the bleed valve, just the tiniest little bit.

I bled the fuel filter like I'd heard might be necessary but that didn't work. I emptied the fuel filter out and there was quite a bit of gunk in it. I went to Lowe's to get another one but of course they don't carry components to essential home systems.

I also tried to see if I could clean out the fuel pump filter, but I don't think my fuel pump has a filter like that's cleanable. It's a Suntec A2VA-7116. I took the 4 bolts off the outside and tried to pull off a cap but it wouldn't come off, not sure if it just doesn't come off or it just didn't want. I tried to look up the manual on Suntec's page but it didn't have that model.

Does it sound like it's a bad fuel pump? Should I just replace it? Would it do the same thing if there was something in the line? What about a clogged nozzle? My main concern is that fuel pump doesn't seem to be pumping atleast nothing is being pumped out the bleed valve.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Old 03-03-09, 07:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Ran out of oil

There is a good possibilty the screen in the pump is clogged. That cover will come off but you may tear the gasket when doing so. Is the burner gravity fed (line off the bottom of the tank & the tank at or above the level of the burner)?
If so, turn off the tank valve & remove the line attached to the pump. Have a helper turn the tank back on. If no oil flows, the line or tank valve is plugged.

Old 03-04-09, 08:33 AM
T
Thanks Grady,

I noticed when I took the fuel filter off and turned the oil valve on at the tank it only dripped out rather than poured. The fuel filter is about on the same level with the bottom of the tank so I would imagine it should just be pouring out.

I unscrewed the copper tube from the inlet of the fuel filter and opened the valve to the oil tank again and tried to blow through it as hard as I could and couldn't get it to budge at all. Is there someway to blow it out? I heard something about a bike pump but I don't how it would attach to the copper tube.

Old 03-04-09, 09:43 AM
T
Well, I went out and bought a CO2 blow gun for $25. It didn't fit the copper tube flare connector like the guys said it would but I just blunt force held the thing up to the tube and let it go. At first I didn't think it did anything but after about a minute dirty fuel oil started come out slow but a lot faster than before. Chunks of stuff came out with it and after about 5 minutes it was running pretty clear so I hooked it all back up, primed it, and this time stuff came out and it started up. Wooo!

Thank you Grady!

Old 03-04-09, 02:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Blocked line

You did well. As soon as you get a chance I would suggest replacing that pump screen and the nozzle in the burner. Might not be a bad idea to add a second filter as close to the burner as possible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: