Old 03-04-09, 06:58 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New goodman heater not blowing hot enough

Okay,here i go.

i have a 2,000 square feet home.
I had my furnace replaced last month with a new goodman 90k btu furnace

We have the LP gas here ,which is only suppied for the furnace and gast tanks are always full.

I also have a digital thermostat which was also replaced when the furnace was replaced.

For some reason,the air coming out of the vents do not feel as hot as i thought it would be.
Compared to the last one.
But it does warm up the house.

When i talked to the plumber who installed the furnace.He told to think as if you got out of a shower and you have a wind come at ya.It wouldnt feel as hot but it does come out as hot..

I asked him how else can we make it hotter.I feel as im using alot more gas to warm up the house now.

he says if i crank up the temp on the burner ,it can burn it out quicker.
So i told him okay,i will leave it alone for now.

Im asking anyone, if there is a way to either slow the blower down for it to feel hotter or if someone can guide me on how to crank up the burner a bit more.

Even my wifes parents said its should be hotter,they have the same type of furnace as well.

Anyways.Can someone help?

I understand if i crank up the burner higher,it would burn it out faster, which is fine, Id rather pay for a burner on this then pay lots of $$ on the gas.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

Old 03-04-09, 08:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Two critical measurements for the furnace are the heat rise and BTU input.

The BTU input is the amount of heat produced per hour by the gas the furnace is burning. The correct BTU input is listed on the rating plate in the burner compartment of the furnace, and is presumably the 90,000 you mention in your post.

The furnace should be set to produce the rated BTU input, neither more nor less. The is set by having the proper burner orifice size and the correct burner manifold pressure. Other things like the elevation of your house, the BTU value of the gas, specific gravity of the gas can affect the BTU input.

The heat rise is also listed on the rating plate for the furnace, and is the difference between the temperature of the air coming into the furnace and the temperature of the air leaving the furnace. The heat rise for a furnace can typically be pretty wide --- 40-80 degrees F. might be an example.

The first step is to have the installer set the BTU input correctly, and then to set the heat rise within the range specified. That is done by adjusting the fan speed. Since you want hotter air, you might prefer a slower fan speed which would allow the furnace to heat the air to a warmer temperature.

That's the basic idea, anyway.

Seattle Pioneer

Old 03-04-09, 05:55 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you have a new Goodman furnace it is two stage. They dont even manufacture a single stage anymore. If it is a GMH95090, then you can set it for single stage at the control board by switching the center dip switch to "single". It will then fire at 90,000 BTU's right away giving you a higher temp. rise. Of course, you first should make sure the gas pressure is set right and take temp. rise readings before and after. I think for this furnace the rise is 35-65. By the way, when your furnace is on low fire (approx. 56,000 BTU input if set up correctly) and still heats the house then it is running efficiently. It may run longer but uses alot less gas when it runs.

Old 03-04-09, 07:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Personally, I wouldn't be anxious to convert a two stage furnace to single stage operation. The two stage system has nice features to it. But get it set up properly ---- perhaps the fan speed is set too high causing a higher flow of cooler air.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: