multi 275 gal tank fill

Old 03-04-09, 08:47 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
multi 275 gal tank fill

Hello, i have 3 275 gal oil tanks i am trying to connect the fills together. should they be in series where one tank feeds the next. or parallel with a common feed to each ? thanks

Old 03-04-09, 03:05 PM
P
Originally Posted by Jim_L
Hello, i have 3 275 gal oil tanks i am trying to connect the fills together. should they be in series where one tank feeds the next. or parallel with a common feed to each ? thanks
Up here multiple tanks must be cross connected at the bottom with 2" pipe and one fill pipe. You'll never get all tanks to fill at the same rate and one will end up being overfilled. Not sure of the codes where you are.

Old 03-04-09, 03:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Multiple tanks

Generally you are not allowed to have that much fuel in the house. Most places limit you to 2-275 gallon tanks. Be that as it may, the best way is a separate fill & vent for each tank but if that is not possible, they are normally piped in series with an equalization line at the bottom and the vent on the last tank. Personally, I would not pipe three tanks with a common fill & vent. I think you are taking a great risk of tank rupture.

Old 03-05-09, 10:28 AM
J
Originally Posted by Grady
Generally you are not allowed to have that much fuel in the house. Most places limit you to 2-275 gallon tanks. Be that as it may, the best way is a separate fill & vent for each tank but if that is not possible, they are normally piped in series with an equalization line at the bottom and the vent on the last tank. Personally, I would not pipe three tanks with a common fill & vent. I think you are taking a great risk of tank rupture.
Thanks for the input, each tank has a vent whistle, so once one tank is full they stop the delivery. a larger equalization line at the bottom would be great, but i only have a 1/2 " pipe fitting on the bottom..

Old 03-05-09, 08:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Vent Whistle

With each tank having it's own whistle, do they each have their own fill? If so, you have the best set-up you can get.
A 1/2" equalization line is fine as long as it is kept clear. The problem is that line is often neglected & plugs with sludge.

Old 03-05-09, 09:35 PM
P
Originally Posted by Jim_L
Thanks for the input, each tank has a vent whistle, so once one tank is full they stop the delivery. a larger equalization line at the bottom would be great, but i only have a 1/2 " pipe fitting on the bottom..

Just a question. How much fuel do you go through to need 3 tanks?

Up here, multiple tanks are almost a thing of the past.
If we have to do it, the code states that there will be one fill with 2" bottom cross connections, and vent is usually 2" as well.
Everyone just uses one 200 gallon tank as a rule.

Old 03-06-09, 04:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Interesting

I've never seen a 2" tapping at the bottom. Every steel residential tank I've ever seen has either a 1/2 or 3/4" bottom tapping.

Old 03-06-09, 08:19 PM
P
Originally Posted by Grady
I've never seen a 2" tapping at the bottom. Every steel residential tank I've ever seen has either a 1/2 or 3/4" bottom tapping.
My mistake. I meant they had to be cross connected at the bottom, but it's really on the end. The only 2" on the bottom was on a generator tank setup I did and the engineer decided to have 2" tappings everywhere. He also specked a "deadman" valve on the supply line to the generator and argued with me when I said it wouldn't work He grew a brain when I asked if I could have the job to be the one to hold the valve open in case the generator started at night

Old 03-14-09, 10:18 AM
M
Originally Posted by pfd27
Up here multiple tanks must be cross connected at the bottom with 2" pipe and one fill pipe. You'll never get all tanks to fill at the same rate and one will end up being overfilled. Not sure of the codes where you are.
Hi, that would scare me, here in portland OR we have small earth quakes, if the pipe breaks at the bottom because of movement, thats an expensive mess. I run 2x275 gallon tanks in my residence because I hate to fill my tank when it costs 2x and much as it was 6 months ago, its murphy's law, when it needs filled, its going to be the maximum price. I just filled my outside tank for $1.48 a gallon. It may be cheaper here because it comes from alaska down the pipeline. My 2 line system with 4 valves between the tanks works awesome, but I did get some backtalk from another pro forum that said you can overfill a tank that way, thats true, you just have to work the valves the right way and no what your doing.

Old 03-14-09, 11:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Earthquakes

Nothing says the cross connection at the bottom has to be with rigid pipe. Copper tubing or a flex line made of oil resistant material is fine. Often I've seen tanks set up with copper & even a coil for added flexiblity.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: