Please Help! Furnace won't turn on

Old 03-06-09, 04:43 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Please Help! Furnace won't turn on

Hello All. I appreciate anyone that can help me out here.

I have a Beckett oil furnace

I put on a new primary control and it's getting power but the furnace never kicks on. Bypassed the t-stat connecting red and white and still nothing (yes the reset button is in and in on blower). I can bypass the primary by connected the two terminals red and white and it will run but that's it.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

Old 03-06-09, 05:05 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You say it runs, but that's it? What then DOES run?: A combustion blower? The house air blower?

Old 03-06-09, 05:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Furnace or Boiler?

Is this a furnace (warm air) or boiler (hot water or steam)? Make & model?
Are you saying you jumped the T-T terminals on the primary & the heater runs?
You connected red & white together at the thermostat & the heater does not run?

Old 03-06-09, 05:21 PM
L
Thanks for the fast response, sorry should have clarified more. I have a Beckett MSHA-066 blown air oil furnace

When I connect the two primary T T terminals together it turns on the oil pump like it should but I don't know if it's igniting. As soon as I take the bypass wire off it shuts off. And yes I connect them on the t-stat and nothing.

Old 03-06-09, 05:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Msha

OK, you have a moble home furnace, either Miller or InterTherm.

I don't remember any relays in that furnace unless you have air conditioning which when it is cooling the furnace blower runs. Is yours this way?

Old 03-06-09, 05:43 PM
L
Yes it says Miller on the panel yea I have a double wide on a foundation so it's probably the original furnace. I use my wood furnace in the winter and oil in the Spring and this is the first time trying to use it for Spring this year.

Yes, I have central air there is a transformer box in the middle wired to the heat motor and the other wires going to air unit. T-stat works fine on A/C and blower runs when "fan" turned on at t-stat.

Old 03-06-09, 06:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A/c

Since you have A/C which is part of the furnace there are relays in the control panel. I suspect the relay for heat is bad. Is there a wiring diagram on the control box panel (may be inside of the cover)? If there is & it is readable, any chance of getting a picture of it? I can't get a wiring diagram online.

Old 03-06-09, 06:24 PM
L
Here's a link to the picture.

Picasa Web Albums - Lance - Furnace

The brown wire on the left is to the t-stat. The 2-wire on the right's going to the A/C. Thanks for the help!

Old 03-06-09, 06:29 PM
L
Actually as I look at it now the hot white goes straight from the t-stat to the primary and the red goes up to the blower then straight to the primary

Old 03-06-09, 06:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Transformer

Great pic, thanks. To the left of the transformer there is a white wire with a blue wire nut. Next to it is a red wire. Trace that red wire & tell me where it goes. That may be the key.

Old 03-06-09, 06:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Red Wire

Does it go to a push on connector, then another connector, & back to the primary? If it does is there a little push button between the connectors?

Old 03-06-09, 06:44 PM
L
Ok posted more that should help

Old 03-06-09, 06:50 PM
L
That worked! Thank you very much! That was a very hidden button. Now I just need to figure out my furnace staying on problem (probably nozzle or spark). If I could buy you a beer I would!Beer 4U2

Old 03-06-09, 06:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Button

That button is a manual reset high limit. The question is why did it trip? Fan & air filter clean? How about the A/C coil in the cabinet below the furnace? For now & after making a few quick checks I wouldn't worry about it unless it trips again for no obvious reason.

How long does the burner run & does it actually fire?

Old 03-07-09, 06:21 AM
L
Could a power surge set the switch? That is weird because I have had the breaker off for a year now and I know that switch wasn't set off last time it was on. It has new filters i'll try to clean the fan

It's not firing. I bled the line, there was air from sitting so long the oil ran back to the tank but goosds tream now just no fire. I don't have much experience with them and don't want to pump up too much fuel into it.

I replaced the nozzle last year when it wouldn't fire and that didn't fix it so I just left it sit until now.

Old 03-07-09, 07:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Won't fire

You could have any of several problems with the most likely being electrodes out of adjustment or a bad ignition transformer. When you replaced the nozzle did you do the fuel filter & pump screen as well? The electrode tips should be 5/16-7/16" above the center of the nozzle, 1/16" ahead of the nozzle face & 1/8-5/32" gap between them. When you changed the nozzle you didn't loosen or remove that 5/16" hex head screw thru the aluminum slider on the side of the burner, did you? If you did, look closely at it to make sure the screw is tight & usually there is a scuff mark where the screw head was originally.

It's hard to tell what caused the limit to trip. As long as it doesn't continue I wouldn't worry about it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: