Tempstar problem

Old 03-08-09, 05:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tempstar problem

Hello to all. I just installed a Tempstar natural gas furnace as a heating source for my garage. The unit is new but has set for several years until I boyght it and installed.After installing the furnace fired right up and worked perfectly. I let the furnace run for about 2 hours while I cleaned up the garage. The unit turned on 4-5 times cycling and working perfectly. Then when it kicked the last time there was know heat no pilot. The big blower was on and the small inducer motor was on. I turned the unit off let sit for 10 minutes and turned back on to watch it cycle through. The inducer motor comes on and I here the gas valve click but the igniter does not glow red. So I tested the two wires leading to the igniter and got like 24.5 volt. IS that correct?? I looked at the igniter and it looks brand new as this unit was new. What could the problem be. I am currently confused a little. The transformer also makes a hum noise that doesn't seem right. I don't notice the sound on my house furnace. Could this have something to do with it?? Thanks for any help.
The model of the unit is NTC7 GNL100N16G

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-09, 10:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You need 120 volts to light the ignighter properly. I'd check the input voltage to the circuit board and be sure you have 120 volts going into the circuit board. If you do, you may have a bad circuit board that is not making a good electrical connection to switch the 120 VAC on to heat the igniter.

Old 03-08-09, 10:57 AM
Check and see if the ignition system is a Honeywell Smartvalve, which uses a 24 volt igniter, which would match the voltage you have.

If that's the case you probably have a cracked igniter that would need to be replaced. Check that by measuring the ohms for continuity or a visual inspection of the igniter which may reveal a crack.

Old 03-08-09, 01:49 PM
The ignition system is a Honeywell Smartvalve. I did check the igniter and it looks brand new as this furnace was a new install. However it was an old unit that was never installed. How do I check the igniter? Through the wires in the harness? And why would this igniter stop working after only 2 hours of use? Thank you

Old 03-08-09, 02:39 PM
Update. I tested the igniter and get no reading. So I guess it is the igniter?? But why would the igniter work for the first couple hours and 4-5 cycles and then stop working all together??? Is something else causing the igniter to fail? As I said this igniter looks brand new and I see no cracks. I am just tring to understand why it would fail?? Any opinions

Old 03-08-09, 04:28 PM
Did you test to see if 120 volts is supplying the ignitor? Or did you instead ohms test the ignitor itself, for resistance?

Having a "no reading" can mean 2 different causes, depending on which test.

Old 03-08-09, 07:50 PM
This system has the Honeywell Smartvalve which has a transformer to convert down to 24volts to the smartvalve. I have 24 volts coming out of the Honeywell Smartvalve that goes to the igniter. When I test the igniter for resistance is were I get no reading. That is testing the two wires coming from the igniter. I just can't understand why a new igniter would fail so quickly.
Do you know if the transformer hum is normal?

Old 03-09-09, 08:48 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rbutcher View Post
I just can't understand why a new igniter would fail so quickly.
I would say its likely this was just a defective ignitor. Like any other manufactured product, there will be some coming off the assembly line that are imperfect and die prematurely. I'd replace it and unless the new ignitor fails in the same time frame, write the old one off as a fluke.

Old 03-12-09, 12:46 PM
Unbelievable!!!! I bought the new igniter, which I was able to find from an online retailer for 49.99 + 7.95 and it was shipped overnight. Here is the unbelievable part. After installing the new igniter the furnace works perfect. So I decided to look at the old igniter to try to see why it failed. So I tested the igniter right at the tip on the glow stick itself. and guess what I get a resistance reading. I go to the end of the plug where it plugs into the controller and get no reading. As I traced the wires back to the glow stick I find the problem. Under the sticker that is attached to the wire there was a break in the wire. If that sticker would have not been there it would have saved me $50.00 bucks because the old igniter does work. There is nothing wrong with it except the wire was some how cut behind a factory sticker that covered the cut wire. THe furnace worked at first because the wire was making a connection but as the unit ran it must have vibrated a little and pulled the cut apart just enough to stop the resistance from letting the part work. I guess it taught me to check the part in question before ordering the replacement. If I would have I would of seen the broken wire. Thanks to all that offered help with this. I appreciate all of you. This site is great.