What is annual maint on gas burner?

Old 03-08-09, 07:56 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What is annual maint on gas burner?

We moved into our new house in May 2006.
We have a gas forced hot air heating system.
What should I have done to the system before next heating season?
It has worked fine and I want to make sure I am doing what needs to be done to keep it in good working order.
I change the filters every 3 months.
It is a Trane system.

Len in NC

Old 03-08-09, 04:06 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you call up an HVAC shop, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to do a checklist of things for you. Other people never touch their gas furnace until something goes wrong. So what is the proper thing to do?

Well, so far you got no replies. My guess is that is an area where you can almost figure what the answer might be. Professionals are going to advise taking all the necessary precautions so that the furnace runs efficient and safe. Obviously they can't say the contrary.

Everyone should be going to the doctor also for complete exams. Do they?

Hopefully one of the real furnace pros here will give their opinion. Maybe share what the normal industry standard is in this regard.

Old 03-08-09, 05:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The problem is that doing routine maintenance and inspection requires a diverse range of skills, experience and judgement. It's a lot different than diagnosing a problem that prevents a furnace from operating.

That's one of the problems with do-it-yourself repairs: when a furnace finally quits working and a competent repairman inspects it, he will also do the necessary checks to verify that other parts of the furnace are operating safely.

A typical do-it-yourselfer can't do that. They may get the furnace to work, not recognizing that there may be needed maintenance or hazardous conditions that they don't recognize.

It's common for furnace operating manuals to have a list of things to include in an annnual maintenance inspection --- but the typical do it yourselfer isn't going to have the skills to do that kind of work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: