Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

Heil DC90 Ultra High efficiency furnace blowing only cold air into the rooms.

Old 03-09-09, 08:58 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I rent a house and in the past 2 months I have come home 4 time to find the natural gas furnace blowing cold air but no heat coming out of the vents. The thermostat was set for 75 (heat - automatic setting) but the room was down to 65. I would turn down the thermostat even lower and the furnace would shut off, and a few minutes after that the fan would also shut off. Then I would wait about 15 minutes and then turn the thermostat back up and everything would be back to normal again. I then went and changed the air filter on the furnace but the old one was still pretty clean. Anyways, with a new filter and turning the furnace on and off it seemed to do the trick.

Now about 2 months later, I woke up at about 6 am in the morning to find the furnace blowing air , cold air, again, but this time nothing works to try to get the furnace working again. The furnace will come on and about 15 second later the blower will come on and blow cold are around the house but no heat is produced. And the furnace will stay like that continuously forever, never turning off unless I manually shut it off or turn down the thermostat.

The furnace is a “HEIL Ultimate III , DC 90 Ultra High Efficiency” furnace.

Does anyone have any idea as to what might be going on?

Right now I have 4 plug-in electric baseboard heaters that are keeping the house warm and with the outside temperature here in Southern Ontario Canada at the freezing point there really is no problem, even though it is still March 9 and we still have a lot of cold weather ahead coming.

I don’t know anything about repairing gas furnaces myself, but is there anything that I can do, perhaps replacing some part myself or something easy? Or should I just call a professional to do the repairs? What do you think sounds like the problem could be here?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-09, 10:31 AM
If you rent the house why not just call your landlord and tell him to get a service tech out there ? If you try to fix it and don't or make something worse your landlord may come back at you with it. Its his house, let him deal with it. That would be my advise

Old 03-09-09, 12:00 PM
I've called my landlord this morning and she told me to telephone their maintenance man. I did about 8 AM but he wasn't in so I left a message. I then set up the electric heaters and waited. She told me to call her back if I did not hear from him at the end of the day. I tried restarting the furnace 7 times and no luck. I went downstairs, turned off the main power and looked around the furnace to see if there were any reset buttons visible or anything, but no, just a clean square metal box. Then around 2pm I tried the furnace again and this time it did start producing heat.
As you can see, it is an intermittent problem, not something that continuously happens. So what do I say if the maintenance man comes over and tries the furnace but it operates as usual? Then later on, a few hours later, it again starts to malfunction. That is why I would rather know how to fix the problem myself.

Old 03-10-09, 05:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did the maintenance man come yet?, or HVAC person. Curious to see what kind of landlord you have.

And was the problem found?

Old 03-10-09, 09:07 PM
Yes, the service man came over and took a look at the furnace. He was testing it for about 20 minutes, cycling it on and off an doing various tests. Then he said that he had to go out and get some spare parts and that he’d be back in about half an hour. He was back with a large box (about 12” x 14” x 20”) and a smaller box and then some odds and ends. I heard his tools on the furnace so he wasn’t just adjusting something, he really was ripping that thing apart. He was working on the furnace for about another 30 minutes. Now the furnace even sounds different than it did before, more of a constant sound while before there was an oscillation in the operation of the furnace, almost like a car’s engine that needed to be tuned up And yes, according to the service man, it really did need to be tuned up!

I asked him if it was a mechanical or an electrical problem and he told me that it was a whole list of things and that it was amazing that the furnace was still operating as it was. He said that I won’t be having any problem now for a long time. I asked him exactly what was wrong and his reply was that he talked to the owner and described all of the problem to the owner and he had to go do another service call and he didn’t have the time to explain, it took him much longer than he had expected and he was really late.
I thanked him for his time, smiled, and wished him a good day.

I called Wayne (the owner) and he didn’t want to tell me anything. He just said that it was covered and I shouldn’t worry about anything. I said that I was curious and that I really wanted to know and he said “sorry, I can’t tell you, its none of your business.” And then he hung up. So I’m not sure exactly what was wrong or what was fixed. One thing for sure, it was a lot bigger problem than anyone expected. The service man had to call up the owner and authorize the extra repairs because it was much more than just a simple service job !

Old 11-30-10, 03:14 AM
I also live in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. I experienced the EXACT same problem with my Heil furnace.

I had a repair person look at the problem while doing a routine maintenance check. If I remember correctly, he told me that the flame sensor was dirty. He said that flame sensors are very difficult to clean properly -- they're a little tiny piece of glass-like substance that will shatter at the slightest touch.

He said he tried his best to clean my flame sensor. But judging by the fact that I still get no heat every now and then, he didn't quite get it.

Does anyone know whether it's possible for me to replace this part myself? If so, what's the best way to get the part I need? I'd really rather not shell out several hundred dollars for something so simple. I have little experience with furnaces, but I like to think I'm a do-it-yourself kinda guy.

Thanks in advance.