Beckett AFG Start Problem

Old 03-15-09, 07:50 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Beckett AFG Start Problem

I have a Beckett AFG Oil Burner with the R7184B Control Module. When heat is called the blower kicks on but the burner unit will not kick on. I get the recycle lamp on the control module but it never does a restart. If I do a manual reset it starts. After bring the house to temp it then shuts off. On the next start, it won't light. IF I do a manual reset it will light for about 10 seconds then kick off. The blower continues to run throughout this time.

I've opened the purge valve and verified it's pulling fuel during the restarts, and it's good. I totally baffled.

Old 03-16-09, 02:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
R7184b

Your fuel pump has a solenoid on it. I've run into several lately which intermittently won't open.
Remove the small 3/16" copper line which goes into the side of the burner & either point it into a container or put a hose over the end which you can point into a container. Start the furnace & after about 15 seconds you should get a steady flow of oil out of the 3/16 line. If you do not, the solenoid coil is probably bad. Inexpensive & easy to replace.
Patriot Supply - 21755U

Old 03-19-09, 05:54 PM
W
Unfortunately, the solenoid coil is not the the problem. I replaced it because they're known to fail. The unit failed to start after replacing the part. I did a manual reset twice but the unit did not start. The unit went into lockout. I held down the reset button for 2 minutes, then opened the fuel purge line when the pump started running. The unit started. It starts every time I purged fuel during start up. After it started I closed the purge valve and it ran the house up to temperature. I suspect it will not start again after shutting off.

Old 03-19-09, 07:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Purge Valve

When you opened the purge valve did you get any air or foam?

Old 03-19-09, 07:59 PM
W
Yes. On this occasion I got about 10 ounces.

Old 03-20-09, 01:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Foam?

If that was ten ounces of foam, you have an air leak somewhere in the fuel system. Has anyone changed the filter lately or otherwise done anything to the fuel system?

Old 03-22-09, 01:42 PM
W
I went out and tighten all the fuel lines. It appears to have fixed the problem. Thanks for your help. Oddly, a local guy tried correcting this problem for weeks. He couldn't figure it out. Thanks again.

Old 03-22-09, 01:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Tightened Lines

If the problem crops up again, take each joint apart & inspect the flares. You could have one cracked or rolled.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: