Firebox Liner - Oil Furnace

Old 03-19-09, 07:21 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Firebox Liner - Oil Furnace

Hello,

I'm buying a home (built around 1950) that has an oil furnace for steam heat. The home inspector looked into the firebox and noticed that the liner is showing signs of age and should probably be replaced. (I'm not sure I'm using the correct words, by liner I mean the ceramic like stuff that keeps the flame from hitting the metal walls.)

My parents have a pellet stove and they replaced the liner in it themself, so I'm crossing my fingers that maybe I could with this too, though an oil furnace is pretty different.

My question is, how complicated is it to replace it? Who would I call to have it done (Oil Company, HVAC, mason?)? About how much (ballpark) does this cost?

Thank you greatly!

Old 03-19-09, 08:54 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Like anything else, its not that difficult if you know how. My advice would be to call a good local oil company and have annual maintenance and cleaning done, they will be able to tell if the chamber and for that matter the rest of the system is in good working order

Old 03-19-09, 03:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Frankly, it's rare that home inspectors would be competent to draw conclusions about a furnace or boiler of the kind you describe. Having the equipment inspected by someone who is competent would be worthwhile before buying a house.

But that would really be true whether a home inspector had looked at the equipment or not.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: