leaking oil tank

Old 03-22-09, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile leaking oil tank

Been a long time since I posted here. Well I thought my oil tank would go 50 years, I was wrong it went 49 years. I found it leaking this morning, went to the local hardware store and bought some Seal All, it is a petroleum sealer. You can even seal a leaking tank without draining. I have sealed auto gasoline tanks with it before, this is my first oil tank. Worked first try, only 25 gallons in it so I am going to burn it out, less hassle. Going to put a new tank in with proper slant to drain valve. It was only a pin hole leak as usual, just a drip, drip, there was water under the leak. It did not have proper slant, I didnít install the tank, was there when I bought the house. Just relating my experience.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-09, 04:48 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
When I bought this place way back, the previous owner had a 200gal tank sorta corner wedged with cement blocks. Basically sitting in the grass/dirt. I dug under it , let it dry and it seemed ok. The next summer I noticed a small wet patch (exposure to the air accelerated it ? they say the tanks all rust from the inside out though..). I found a used tank in good condition (someone 'upgrading' to natgas), used that for a few years.

Finally some recent code came along, and we had to put a new tank with the slope to drain etc in. All the parts came to about $500 if I recall. Hope it will last 10+ yrs.. hard to say how these new tanks are.

Good idea to burn off the rest of that fuel, they say not to transfer any because of the water and rust iron.

Old 03-23-09, 10:20 AM
I wanted every one to know that in and emergency, Seal All will save the day, just a good thing to know.

Old 03-23-09, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by slls View Post
I wanted every one to know that in and emergency, Seal All will save the day, just a good thing to know.
I was told by one of the old timers in our company that a mars bar mushed and jammed in the hole will work in a pinch too. I haven't tried it yet myself
Wonder if magic mushrooms work as well

Old 03-24-09, 10:25 AM
I would eat the Mars bar and use Seal All.

Old 03-24-09, 04:26 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you have both, dont get them mixed up !!