VERY Intermittent Ignition - Carrier Furnace

Old 03-23-09, 11:16 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
VERY Intermittent Ignition - Carrier Furnace

We have been having ongoing (several years) problems with our basement counterflow furnace. When it gets a call for heat, it will start to click, and sometime during the next five or ten minutes, the pilot will light, and then the furnace will start.

Working with one contractor, we have replaced: the gas valve, the "three wire pilot", the spark wire, and cleaned most of the parts more than once. Sometimes a quick puff of air (blowing on it) will cause the pilot to light quickly. It seems like we have gas, and have a spark, but they just are not close enough or strong enough to work together. We have also experienced "rollout" a couple of times. They have explained the thermocouple to me but I don't think that's the issue.

The contractor says he has no idea, and I should replace the 30 year old furnace. The heat exchanger and blower are still good so I would rather get a few more years use considering it's just the basement.

Carrier Model 58DR100 - AA
1978 - Series 101

Hopefully someone can point me towards a fix for this.

Peter

Old 03-23-09, 04:20 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cleaned burners? was the rite pilot used for that model? There is an adjustment on gas valve for your pilot to make it stronger but i dont recommend playing with it. Its a little screw. You really should get a new one will be more effecient and with today warranty that they offer no hadache for next 5 to 10 years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: