burner leak

Old 03-26-09, 04:51 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry burner leak

Hi all
As this is my first post I hope I'm not doing anything wrong. I have discovered a small fuel leak on my home heating burner. I'll try to describe it as best possible (I have pics but not sure how to show them) When the burner fires up a flap at the side lifts up I take it to allow a flow of air through to the burner, This is done by a small copper cylinder approx 2inch long by 3/4inch diameter which seems to act as a piston. This cylinder seems to be fed via a very fine copper fuel pipe. When burning it appears to be fine but when the burner stops there is a small but significant leak from the bottom of the cylinder, Question is can these items be replaced easily as it looks as if it is only mounted by a couple of screws to the main body of the burner.

Hope thats not as clear as mud, any help would be much appreciated.

David

Old 03-26-09, 06:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Leak

From what you describe I believe you have a Riello burner. If you can provide the model number (Mectron 3 or 5; F40 3 or 5) I can probably find the parts online. Leaks at the hydralic jack are pretty common & the jack is easy to replace if you choose to. Riello also sells a kit to eliminate the jack. With it you end up with a fixed opening.

The easiest way to post pictures is to post them on photobucket.com or similar site & provide a link to them here.

Old 03-27-09, 01:30 AM
D
hi

Thanks Grady. I will check for a make and model and get back. If Ive no luck there I'll post the pics.

I'm impressed Grady yep it's a Riello model 40 Model GB£
just found a small id plate saying model number 437T50

If your saying you can buy a kit to make it pemanently open am I wrong in assuming that if you removed the jack, cap the pipes feeding it and then secure open the air inlet this is would be a dodgy practice ?

Fuel leak

Last edited by davycc; 03-27-09 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-27-09, 03:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Riello

Sorry I missed the fact you are in Northern Ireland. I don't know if the GB model uses the same parts as do the burners made for the US & Canandian markets or not.
If it is the same, the jack part number is 3006911.
If you choose to remove the jack & shutter you should also remove the very small copper line. There is a plug which is installed in the pump where the line normally connects.
The part number for the plug is 2623141.

Old 03-28-09, 02:35 AM
D
hi

Thanks again.

I have contacted a local Riello repair shop who has said if I bring the jack in he will replace the seals (is this right ) for £5 approx $5 US or if needed replace the jack for £20

David

Old 03-28-09, 01:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Leaking Jack

For that kind of money I would have the existing one rebuilt & get a new one as a spare. Changing the jack is a 5 minute job.

Old 03-29-09, 11:06 AM
D
Cheers think mabye I'll do just that.

Old 03-30-09, 02:36 AM
D
Smile Leak

Bought 2 seals $1 and a replacement jack. fitted seal and replaced now dry as a bone, I'll keep the spare jack as with experience with anything when something needs a part replaced it's not long before the whole shebang packs up lol.

Thanks again.

Old 03-30-09, 03:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Repaired

Good job. Glad things worked out well for you & that we were able to help in some small way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: