York G8C10020MUD11A

Old 03-28-09, 02:49 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York G8C10020MUD11A

I was wondering if anyone could help me with my York Heater. It's a G8C10020MUD11A and it runs for about 3 cycles then stops. If you cut power to it by either the breaker panel or by the switch it's connected to it will run the 3 cycles over again.
I opened the front panel and observed what was going on and when it quits running the light flashes 8 times signaling "Ignition lock out due to recycles". I saw an earlier thread where someone had theirs flash 7 times, I tried that fix by cleaning the rod that protrudes into the flame but to no help.
What would you suggest next?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-09, 03:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
York

I'm not familiar with than model. Does the furnace ever actually fire? Do you know if it is spark or hot surface ignition?
During the ignition process do you see a glow in the area of the burners?

Old 03-29-09, 10:04 AM
Red face

Yes the furnace actually fires. At first the fan starts to blow, then the ignitor glows red, then the gas valve opens and lights all 4 burners, then the ignitor goes out and the burners continue to burn for about 30 seconds then go out. The ignitor gets red hot again and the gas valve opens and the 4 burners light. This sequence happens about 3 times then the final time it shuts off the red LED light blinks 8 times signifying "one hour lockout - five recycles in a single call for heat".
I already removed the flame sensor and brushed it with a wire brush, there wasn't much soot on the sensor anyway. I installed and I'm still having the same issue.

Old 03-29-09, 03:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sensor

Make sure the sensor is in the flame. If it is, remove it & clean well with Scotch Brite or steel wool which you have washed with alcohol to remove any oils. Re-install the sensor & try again. Also make sure the furnace & control is well grounded. A bad sensor rod is not unheard of but quite rare. If you have an ohm meter you can check continuity thru the wire to the sensor itself.

Old 03-29-09, 03:19 PM
The sensor is definately in the flame, I'll pull it out again and use scothbrite this time, I only used a wire brush last time although the sensor doesn't look sooty or oily.
Do you know where I could get a new sensor if this doesn't work? Loews or Home Depot?

Old 03-29-09, 03:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sensor

It's unlikely Lowes or HD would have it. I don't know about your area but around here about the only place to get York parts are from a dealer. If there is little resitance thru the wire & sensor rod, I'd be more inclined to think control but sensors are a lot cheaper & easy to replace if you can find one.

Old 03-29-09, 03:47 PM
I tried it again, cleaning the sensor but the same results happened. After three short 30 seconds of "on" time, the unit turns off the gas valve and then the LED flashes 8 times.
I would hate to have to call the furnace people for something that is going to turn out pretty simple to do.

Old 03-29-09, 03:50 PM
I did ohm thru the sensor and it was 0 ohms from the blade connector to the end of the sensor that sits in the flame. I also ohmed thru the wore that feeds back to the circuit board, 0 ohms there also and no shorts to ground.

Old 03-29-09, 03:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sensor

I understand. If you aren't in dire straights you might be able to find the parts online & have them in a day or two. Maybe even a local dealer could check the sensor for you. Some will & others won't sell parts over the counter.

Old 03-29-09, 03:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Zero Ohms?

How sensitive is the meter? There should be some resitance, if only a few ohms or tenths of ohms. What does the meter display on an open circuit & a dead short (the probes touching each other)?
One more thing to check: Clip one probe to the mounting bracket attached to the sensor & the other one to the probe itself. The porcelain could be cracked shorting the probe to ground.

Old 03-29-09, 04:10 PM
I found a dealer close to my work, maybe I'll stop there tomorrow and see how much the sensor is, if they have one. What control were you talking about? Is that on the circuit board or a seperate component?

Old 03-29-09, 04:26 PM
I just ohmed thru the sensor again on the 200 Ohm scale and the reading fluxuate. It goes anywhere from .3 to .5 ohms. The sensor's porcelin isn't shorted to ground when installed on the furnace but the center conductor is a little loose in the porcelin.

Old 03-29-09, 05:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sensor

The ohm reading sounds good but a loose center conductor makes me wonder.
The control to which I was referring was the one (ignition module or furnace circuit board) to which the sensor connects.