furnace air filters

Old 04-05-09, 09:47 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
furnace air filters

I am new to forced air furnaces (i have always lived in houses with radiators.) So far I have been using air filters that say they can be used up to 3 months but I have been noticing that after only about a month and a half or 2 months they seem pretty gunked up with dust and stuff. Should I keep them in for the whole 3 months or should I change them when they seem clogged. Will keeping a clogged filter in restrict air flow and hurt the furnace's efficiency?

Old 04-05-09, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
No HVAC expert, but yes, a clogged filter can cause all sorts of problems. And not just with efficiency. If this is also used for A/C you can get frozen coils and actually cause damage as I understand...never happened to me personally.

Most of the claims of 3 month life are overstated in my experience. Especially if you live in a dusty environment or have pets.

The super high filtration filters, $15-17 type, can greatly restrict flow depending on the design. Unless there are problems with allergies and such, a quality pleated filter is a good choice...maybe $5 or so each?

Some of the Pro's have favorites and I'm sure you will get more responces.

Old 04-05-09, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gun has hit it well.

Yeah, 90 days don't meatn ignore it and keep it in there for 90 days.

Filter should be changed every month month and a half (Depends on many things)

I suggest the 3 pack NaturalAire air filter that is sold at Home Depot for about $8, they do the job, but don't cut down on the air flow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: