No outside air intake in new gas furnace installation?

Old 04-07-09, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No outside air intake in new gas furnace installation?

Hi all,

We had a Goodman 70,000 btu 95% gas furnace installed recently. Everything seems fine, but there is no fresh air pipe installed, just one pipe for venting from the furnace to the outside.

This is a wide open, unfinished basement in a 100 yr old house, very little insulation. There is also a 34,000 btu hot water heater next to the furnace, vented to the chimney. By my calculations, that's 104,000 btu in the basement, and I read that we should have 50 cubic ft of space per 1,000 btu. My best guess is that we have around 3600 cubic feet in a not terribly air tight basement.

Is this situation safe or should I pester my installer about more combustion air?

thanks for any info.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-09, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by JGardener View Post
Hi all,

We had a Goodman 70,000 btu 95% gas furnace installed recently. Everything seems fine, but there is no fresh air pipe installed, just one pipe for venting from the furnace to the outside.

This is a wide open, unfinished basement in a 100 yr old house, very little insulation. There is also a 34,000 btu hot water heater next to the furnace, vented to the chimney. By my calculations, that's 104,000 btu in the basement, and I read that we should have 50 cubic ft of space per 1,000 btu. My best guess is that we have around 3600 cubic feet in a not terribly air tight basement.

Is this situation safe or should I pester my installer about more combustion air?

thanks for any info.
Fresh intake pipe is recommended for longer life of furnace, its not that much more to run another pvc pipe outside (lazy)

Old 04-08-09, 06:21 AM
To add to HVAC's comment without the combustion air being pulled from independently from the outdoors it will cause infiltration of outdoor air into your home through any void possible to make up for the flue gasses it discharges.

Old 04-08-09, 07:02 AM
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
Many new high efficiency furnaces are already set up for sealed combustion. It may be as HVAC said, simply run a pvc to the outside. I'm not sure you should do that as it might affect the air flow. So, since it is a recent install, I would make a call and ask why it wasn't installed as it is part of that 95% they are claiming. It is part of the system you purchased, not an option that you select later. They should add that no charge.

Bud

Old 04-08-09, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Looks like we'll be calling the installers. I was hoping the open area would be enough, but it looks like we need the fresh air pipe!

Old 04-08-09, 04:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 11 Votes on 10 Posts
Combustion air

From your description of your basement the single pipe is probably fine from a safety standpoint but from an efficiency view I'd much prefer the intake pipe be installed.

Regarding the chimney: How big is it (inside) & of what is it made? My guess is the chimney is too large for the water heater alone & should be lined.

Old 04-09-09, 04:22 PM
Wink air for combustion on 95 % 70k btu furnace

high eff furnaces need proper air intake , as so not to pull from
chimney flew on watter heater , causing carbonmonoxide to be pulled back into building . vent from outside air to furnace
makes sure this dose'nt happen . this furnace is duel certified and maybe installed as a non-direct vent (single pipe ) or
direct vent (duel pipe ) appliance .
It is not that much more money to install adequate air intake to the furnace , you may need proper air intake in the future , when you seal up building air leaks later on down the line .

I'm a goodman dealer , alway's look to the future .