Oil heater btu vs sq ft

Old 04-13-09, 11:34 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool Oil heater btu vs sq ft

we have just built a 2200 sq ft homein Central Maine.The oil furnace ( K2 ) we have has a .65 nozzle and is supposed to heat at 80K to 100K btu,s.I am thinking that we need a larger furnace so I guess my question is ..how to I figure out how many btus I need to have to comfortably heat our home . We have 6" insulation all around ,top ,bottom,no basement ( crawl space-insulated ) with 3/4 wood walls inside and out ...

Old 04-13-09, 07:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Heater Size

Here is a link to a program which you can download & run to determine the heat loss of your house. I have used it as have others on this board & all have been very happy. It could very well be the best $50 you spend on your new house. I would certainly hope you have more than 6" of insulation in the floor & especially the ceiling.

HVAC Software, HVAC-Calc for Heat Loss, Heat Load Calculations

Old 04-14-09, 09:20 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
deleted-- post described conditions for a boiler instead of a furnace

Foggy

Old 04-14-09, 01:13 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi ralv, what we would all like to have is the smallest furnace we can get by with. The challenge is getting our house to be warm with less. Even though your home was recently built, it is probably less efficient than needed. Air sealing and insulation are easy fixes in many places and they can make your home very comfortable with the furnace you have.

GL
Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: