Copper pipe sizes (gas)

Reply

  #1  
Old 04-20-09, 09:32 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Copper pipe sizes (gas)

Hi, i'm new to DIY. I just ran a new gas line connecting to existing system. However I found out after I ran it that I bought the wrong size. The existing is 1/2" soft copper OD (even the main pipe) and the new line I ran is 1/2" ID. Can anyone tell me if that is going to be an issue? I ran it about 45 feet, thanks in advance.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 04-20-09, 10:21 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 10,986
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't know if I would use copper for gas but I'll let someone more experienced answer. If it's ok, a street coupling might solve the problem.
 
  #3  
Old 04-21-09, 03:23 PM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brantford Ontario Canada
Posts: 117
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hvn0005 View Post
Hi, i'm new to DIY. I just ran a new gas line connecting to existing system. However I found out after I ran it that I bought the wrong size. The existing is 1/2" soft copper OD (even the main pipe) and the new line I ran is 1/2" ID. Can anyone tell me if that is going to be an issue? I ran it about 45 feet, thanks in advance.
Sounds like you used plumbing copper which is measured by ID
Gas tubing is OD
 
  #4  
Old 04-21-09, 05:59 PM
Grady's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Delaware, The First State
Posts: 13,996
Received 11 Votes on 10 Posts
Gas in Copper

In my area we are not allowed to run gas in copper. We must use black steel pipe or CSST. I much prefer the black steel pipe.
 
  #5  
Old 04-22-09, 12:20 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pfd27 View Post
Sounds like you used plumbing copper which is measured by ID
Gas tubing is OD
Hmm..I hope you are wrong :-) since I used the type L copper which is good for gas. I'm in Minnesota and they use soft copper for gas all the time. Can anyone confirmed the statement above? Thanks.
 
  #6  
Old 04-22-09, 03:37 PM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brantford Ontario Canada
Posts: 117
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hvn0005 View Post
Hmm..I hope you are wrong :-) since I used the type L copper which is good for gas. I'm in Minnesota and they use soft copper for gas all the time. Can anyone confirmed the statement above? Thanks.
You'd have to check with someone in your area to be sure.
We use soft copper here too, but it's rated for gas use and it's not type L
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: