NEED HELP: My furnace. Its off but it still keeps blowing air...

Old 04-22-09, 01:52 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
NEED HELP: My furnace. Its off but it still keeps blowing air...

Ok. My old thermostat was a digital one but without batterys, and the screen didnt work (wasnt displaying anything, could not see nothing) so I went Lowes to buy a new one just today. I turned off the furnace and the breaker when I installed it. Everything went perfectly untill I went upstair to turn the furnace on. I have my heater on and its only blowing air, not cold or hot. Just air, so I went to my thermostat to turn off the furnace but nothing. The thing still keeps blowing air even when I already turned off my thermostat. The only way I can turn my furnace off is my hitting the OFF and ON switch by my furnace.

The problem is that it did this before I replaced my old thermostat. I replaced it because I thought that was the problem but nope. Its still doing the samething as it was before. I can put it on heat or ac but the thing will still blow air out, again..not cold nor hot. Just air. Fan is on AUTO on my thermostat.

My house is fairly new. Not sure if that helps but here is the Model number of my furnace: Bryant MODEL 310AAV/JAV. I think its a gas furnace.

I honestly do not have the money to pay someone. Right now im living check by check and depend on every cent Im making. I would really like someone to help me if they could walk me through doing this on the forums. Its freezing cold here

Old 04-22-09, 02:15 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Turn off the power to the furnace and then open the service door on the furnace where the thermostat cable enters. Follow the thermostat cable to where it splits out to several colored wires. The green wire should be connected to a terminal with the letter G. Disconnect this green wire, tape the bare end and replace the service door. Turn on the power to the furnace and see if the blower is still running (it should not be).

Post back with the results.

Old 04-22-09, 02:34 PM
O
Originally Posted by furd
Turn off the power to the furnace and then open the service door on the furnace where the thermostat cable enters. Follow the thermostat cable to where it splits out to several colored wires. The green wire should be connected to a terminal with the letter G. Disconnect this green wire, tape the bare end and replace the service door. Turn on the power to the furnace and see if the blower is still running (it should not be).

Post back with the results.

wow, thanks furd. Im going to try this right now. omw brb.

Old 04-22-09, 02:48 PM
O
Ok, I got into the C board and removed the green wire and tapped it up. Its still blowing right now but just waiting to see if its warm air. What can I do now?

Oh yeah. There was a light flashing. It was flasking 3 times quickly then 3 times slowly

(333 3 3 3) That is what it looked like.

EDIT: Still blowing air. Not cold nor hot.
Is there anyway I could reset the C-board?

Old 04-22-09, 02:58 PM
F
There should be a "cheat sheet" pasted inside the blower compartment door advising you what the various trouble code flashes mean.

Right now I think you have a board level fault and are beyond any simple fix.

Old 04-22-09, 03:21 PM
O
Originally Posted by furd
There should be a "cheat sheet" pasted inside the blower compartment door advising you what the various trouble code flashes mean.

Right now I think you have a board level fault and are beyond any simple fix.

Well Thanks for the brief help. lol

Yeah, the flashing code says its a "Limit Circuit Failure"

Old 04-22-09, 08:30 PM
F
Progress

Well, that is certainly a clue and it may mean that there is nothing wrong with the circuit board. What that cryptic message may be telling you is that the furnace overheated at one point and "tripped" a high temperature switch. Since I am not familiar with this particular furnace I can't begin to tell you where to look. It could be somewhere near the exhaust duct or possibly in the air passage. It most likely would be a small red button that needs to be pushed in.

More important is why the limit circuit tripped. Have you checked the air filter recently?

Old 04-23-09, 04:48 AM
O
I forgot to change the air filter last month but a new one is in right now. Old one was a bit dirty. Hmm, Im going to try and check to see if I can find it. I have the user's information manual in my hands aswell. If I cant find it would you like me to take some pictures of my furnace? also, will the reset switch be inside my furnace or up in my attic? Also should I push the reset butten while the system is running or off?

Here is a link to a online Manual of my furnace. Bryant Plus 80 Manual

Here is what the code reads:

33, LIMIT CIRCUIT FAULT - Indicates the limit, drath safeguard, flame rollout, or blocked vent switch (if used) is open or the furnace is operating in high-heat only mode due to 2 seccessive low heat limit trips. Blower will run for 4 minutes or untill open switch remakes whichever is longer. If open longer then 3 minutes, code changes to lockout #13. If open less then 3 minutes status code #33 continues to flash untill blower shuts off. Flame rollout switch and BVSS require manual reset Check for:
-Recstricted vent
-Excessive wind
-loose blower wheel
-proper vent dizing
-dirty filter or restricted duct system
-Defective blower motor or capacitor
-defective switch or connections
-inadequate combustion air supply (flame roll-out switch open)

Im really thankful for the help. Being a single mother of 3, its a bit hard to pay those high repair bills.

Thanks. Kati.

Last edited by omgnowaykati; 04-23-09 at 05:34 AM.
Old 04-23-09, 10:04 AM
F
Look at the drawing near the top of the on-line manual you referenced and look for the limit switch locations. Turn off the power to the furnace, find these on your furnace and attempt to reset them by pushing in the buttons.

Close all the service doors, turn on the power and see if this works. After this I am out of ideas. I am not a furnace repairman nor have I ever actually seen this particular furnace. Hopefully on of the other members can help.

Old 04-23-09, 03:32 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do as furd suggests about trying to find resettable limit switch. This would be located higher than the burner and would have at least 2 wires going to it (one in and one out).

You can reset the furnace by turning the furnace off and waiting about 30 seconds and turn it back on.

Do you have a voltmeter for testing? Or can borrow one?

I feel sorry for your plight. You have to catch people online here and stay with us to have a back and forth dialogue for fastest results where you can run to furnace and look for this and try that as new suggestions are made.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: