York Diamond 80 ignitor not working

Old 04-24-09, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York Diamond 80 ignitor not working

I have a York diamond 80, and the ignitor is not working. I am new to home repairs, so any help for a newbie is appreciated.

Because the ignitor was not working, I replaced the ignitor, but it is still not working. The furnace fan will turn on, and I will hear the gas going, but the ignitor will not light up. Is it possible that the replacement ignitor is not working?

Also, I checked the voltage going to the ignitor, and it was only 6 volts. (I thought it should be 120v) Could the problem be something other than the ignitor?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-09, 12:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you have pins, rather than spade connectors at the control module or board or in any jack associated directly with the ignitor wires? This has been a cause on furnaces I have worked on with your problem. I solved by spreading those split pins some, to make better contact.

Also, let us know if you have a/c coils in plenum above furnace and or you otherwise maybe have spotted signs of water leaking in furnace/dripping on control module or board.

And especially if furnace in dank area, and spades look suspect, pull them all carefully and reinsert making sure all make a nice scrape tight feel when inserting, or modify by crushing the spade connector with pliers a tad so you get that.

Old 04-25-09, 03:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by jasonlarsen View Post
Also, I checked the voltage going to the ignitor, and it was only 6 volts. (I thought it should be 120v) Could the problem be something other than the ignitor?

It should be 120 volts. Checking the connectijng pins as Ecman suggest is worthwhile, but if that's not the problem you need a new circuit board/ignition module.

Old 04-25-09, 03:49 PM
My furnace has pin connectors. i went and check the connecotrs for the ignitor, and they all seemed pretty snug. I even clamped them down a little and that did not work.

I checked for any water leaks around control board, and everything looked dry and ok. Maybe it is time to get a professional to come take a look at it.

Old 04-25-09, 07:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Ignition Voltage

Trace the ignitor wires all the way back to the ignition control & unplug them there. Turn the furnace on & check voltage at the terminals. This will eliminate any possible connection problems.