comfortmaker furnace fan replacement help

Old 04-27-09, 07:26 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
comfortmaker furnace fan replacement help

Comfortmaker model # G-U400100-16m-PD
Serial # 0000211403-l46-0057
from about 1986

The fan definitely needs to be replaced on the furnace. Stopped working and had a repairman out a couple of months ago who was out of stock on the part and never showed up to replace it when it was back in stock and now with 90 degree weather here in New Jersey today, our central air unit outside isn't functioning at all. It's horrible!

If i can get the proper part, how difficult would it be to swap out the fan? Will the part be expensive? I love doing things myself but if anyone could tell me specifically how to do it, i would be so grateful!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-09, 01:58 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
I'm not familiar with your particular furnace but generally removal and replacement of the blower is not a difficult task. If you have a "downflow" furnace you will likely need to remove the exhaust duct inside the furnace casing in order to remove the blower assembly.

Also, it is rare that an entire blower assembly needs to be completely replaced. Usually it is just the motor although that generally does require the blower assembly be removed from the furnace casing.

Old 04-27-09, 05:20 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A motor shop should have your motor in stock. It might be in the range of $100 - even possibly less. Very DIY'able, as said.

Generally entire housings are just held in by a couple of screws at the front/corners, and the whole thing slides out on side tracks.

In downflow mobile home furnaces, these too easily just slide out.

Once out, you can get the squirrel cage off the motor shaft. You also have to undo the 3 bolts that bolt the 3 motor mounts to the blower housing.

When removing the old motor from the housing, make sure you carefully look at how the wires are oriented on the old motor, and that if any oiling ports that they point either straight up, or up enough for the oil to run by gravity into the bearings. Often though, many motors they sell today do not require oiling, and there are no oiling ports, so you can't, even if you wanted to.

Motor wire orientation should be replicated, in case wire is bare minimum in length, so you know that they will reach.

Very adviseable to do a job like this, as then you will always know how to do it, as it is very straightforward, and can save you lots of money.