Water in heating oil?

Old 04-28-09, 07:02 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water in heating oil?

Hi, is there any way to remove water from heating oil? I have about 50 or more gallons of oil in my tank and there is quite a lot of water in it. I don't know how it got in there as I only just bought this place. Is there any way I can filter it out?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-09, 09:37 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Maybe I'm just old, but the old glass bowl filters used to be an easy way to sopt and remove any water in a fuel system. A quick google seemed to indicate they are still in use, so might be a good long term fix. The real heating guys will be along to correct if needed.

Bud

Old 04-28-09, 03:42 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
water

buy or borrow a small marine hand bilge pump, jury rig a piece of copper tubing or any plastic tubing or pipe any way you can,
it's only temporary, get the pipe/tubing to the bottom of the tank, and try to pump and get the the water/oil into any container s you can manage. at first it should be all water, that should be easy to dispose of, the rest, sludge/oil can be taken to anyplace that takes used oil or some communities have "hazmat" days or events where that can be disposed of.

Old 04-29-09, 02:23 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
water

I probably should have said to buy a hand marine oil change pump, that might work better. If you can get to the bottom drain, if it is an indoor tank and get some kind of a bucket under it that may be easier. What ever way you use it's going to be potentially messy and today oil spills are a BIG deal, so be carefull.

Old 05-02-09, 01:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Water in oil tank

With only 50 gallons in the tank, my suggestion is to get rid of the whole mess, tank & all. Having been in the business for over 20 years I can tell you that you will be ahead of the game to do so. Getting all the water out of a tank is next to impossible, not to mention the probable rust & sludge.