Unknown copper tubing for ThermoPride Oil Furnace

Old 05-02-09, 12:52 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unknown copper tubing for ThermoPride Oil Furnace

In the process of doing some home improvement, I accidentally fractured what looks like a copper pressure pipe associated with my oil furnace.

Here's the situation:

I have a partial footprint basement. The ThermoPride is situated next to the interior retaining wall between the basement and the crawlspace. There are two (~3/8") copper tubes stubbing through the retaining wall. One is is undoubtedly the supply line, as it runs directly to the furnace. The second tube stubs out of the retaining wall about 12" and has a brass screw fitting on the end where it terminates. Thirdly, there is a 3/8" tube that stubs through the 4" slab on grade of the basement. The 3/8" tube flares up to what appears to be 1-1/4" diameter copper "bulge" tube. This "bulge" tube sits upright approximately 42" above the basement finish floor and has a brass screw fitting on top where it terminates.

Does anyone know what, or if, the "bulge" pipe goes to. The house was built in 1942, but the thermopride was installed 3 years ago. I'm hoping the bulge pipe is an artifact from the old oil furnace, but I fear it is an important part of my current system. Please help! I can email a picture of the three pipes if anyone cares to see a visual. T-H-A-N-K-S in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-09, 01:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Pipes/Pictures

Pictures are always welcome & usually a big help. Shots of the pipes & burner would be appreciated.

An easy way for all to see them is to post the pix on photobucket.com or similar site & provide a link here.

Old 05-02-09, 02:14 PM
R
Thanks Grady. Here is an overall shot of the two tubes coming thru the retaining wall. The "bulge" tube is the upright tube on the left.

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/s...OilFurnace.jpg

Old 05-02-09, 04:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Bulge Tube

I honestly have never seen anything like it. The fact it is not connected to the furnace would seem to eliminate the possability of it being part of the heating system. I presume that is the tube you damaged?

Old 05-02-09, 06:36 PM
R
Yes, the "buldge" tube is the one that was broken off at the slab level. This pipe is located directly behind where the original water heater was located. We were clueless when we saw it the first time. First guess was a pressure relief valve for something under the basement slab.

As seen in the photo there is a slight brown-ish staining of the concrete around the base of the tube. There is a very slight petroleum smell to the stain. Since heating oil= deisel, I figured it was either a pressure relief from an older system or something connected to the current system that is no longer needed.

Obviously, I'm totally clueless too.

Old 05-03-09, 05:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
"Bulge" Pipe

It may have been something to do with the water heater. About all I can suggest is cut it off & plug the stub with a piece of dowel you can sand to a taper.

The stain next to the wall is likely from a spill from the plugged oil line, presumably before it was plugged.

Old 05-07-09, 06:20 AM
It looks like maybe gas line for the water heater at one time?

Are you able to trace back on the line to see if it's connected to anything still?