leaky roof vent

Old 05-05-09, 09:41 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
leaky roof vent

I am wondering if anyone has a quick solution to this: My attic gas fired forced hot air furnace vent up through the roog-through the typical metal piping. Where the pipe goes through the roof, there is sometimes a drip sort of leak in hard rainstorms. Is there any prduct that can be applied from the inside of the attic around the pipe to prevent the /stop the leak?
Thanks

Old 05-05-09, 03:18 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
No, it has to be sealed from the outside. You might be able to look around your neighborhood and see if anyone is having some roofing done. If so, talk to the foreman on the job and see if he or one of his crew wants to make a little side money fixing your leak. It will be cheaper than having a roofing company come out for just this little job.

Old 05-05-09, 10:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A careful inspection of where the drip is taking place may be a clue as to the source of the leak. I agree that repairing it from outside is probably the best method.

It may be possible to remove and replace the old metal or rubber roof jack and seal under and around it with furnace cement. Careful examination of the existing roof vent might disclose a defect that can be repaired, or simply buttering up the existing roof jack with furnace cement may solve the problem.

If it were me, I'd try this kind of DIY method and have about a 98% chance of solving the problems after 1-3 attempts.

The DIY efforts would probably take less time than would be involved in coaxing a roofing contractor to come out to inspect the problem, to say nothing of the actual repair costs.

Of course, all bets are off if you have a steep roof. Paying a roofing contractor is still a better deal than paying emergency rooms, surgeons and physical therapists.

Seattle Pioneer

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: