Help. Burner Stopped after hearing Chirping from the Pump!!!

Old 05-07-09, 03:49 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help. Burner Stopped after hearing Chirping from the Pump!!!

Wife complained no Hot water so I went and checked Burner. Dreaded Green light flashing. Go outside and check Oil Level. Plenty of Oil. I go down and hit reset button and burner fires up. I start hearing a chirping from the Beckett Clean Cut Pump area. Every once and a while you can hear that the burner flames out for a second. Then the Burner completely flames out and shuts down and reset button flashes.
Any ideas?????
Could this be a clogged Filter?

Old 05-07-09, 03:56 PM
P
Originally Posted by rgnbull1227
Wife complained no Hot water so I went and checked Burner. Dreaded Green light flashing. Go outside and check Oil Level. Plenty of Oil. I go down and hit reset button and burner fires up. I start hearing a chirping from the Beckett Clean Cut Pump area. Every once and a while you can hear that the burner flames out for a second. Then the Burner completely flames out and shuts down and reset button flashes.
Any ideas?????
Could this be a clogged Filter?
Is it a steady chirping noise or start-stop? It could be a clogged filter, but I'm thinking that the drive coupler may be slipping. That would explain the chirping noise and the flameouts.

Old 05-07-09, 03:58 PM
R
Originally Posted by pfd27
Is it a steady chirping noise or start-stop? It could be a clogged filter, but I'm thinking that the drive coupler may be slipping. That would explain the chirping noise and the flameouts.
Is that an easy fix? Is that something I can do or do i need to call a tech?????

Old 05-07-09, 04:01 PM
R
it comes and goes. at start up no chirping....about 20 seconds after start up, you hear "chirp.................chirp chirp................10 seconds go by, Chirp....chirp chirp chirp....................chirp.............." its not continuous but comes and goes every 5 to 10 seconds.....

Old 05-07-09, 04:05 PM
P
Is that an easy fix? Is that something I can do or do i need to call a tech?????
It's the plastic tube that goes between the burner motor and the fuel pump. Either the pump or the motor has to be removed and the coupler slides over both. Older couplers sometimes have a allen screw that holds it on. It's not a hard fix, if that's what is wrong

Old 05-07-09, 04:10 PM
P
it comes and goes. at start up no chirping....about 20 seconds after start up, you hear "chirp.................chirp chirp................10 seconds go by, Chirp....chirp chirp chirp....................chirp.............." its not continuous but comes and goes every 5 to 10 seconds.....
Sounds like the coupler. Of course the pump could be seizing up too.

Old 05-07-09, 04:10 PM
R
It's the plastic tube that goes between the burner motor and the fuel pump. Either the pump or the motor has to be removed and the coupler slides over both. Older couplers sometimes have a allen screw that holds it on. It's not a hard fix, if that's what is wrong
I really appreciate the help....How can i determine if it is in fact the coupler......here is what it sounds like.....

Old 05-07-09, 04:17 PM
P
I really appreciate the help....How can i determine if it is in fact the coupler......here is what it sounds like.....
You'll likely have to pull it out and look at the ends where the flats are. The part shouldn't be much more that $5.00
Unless it's a beckett part, you'll have to trim it to length.
When you get it out make sure the oil pump spins freely.

Old 05-07-09, 04:53 PM
R
You'll likely have to pull it out and look at the ends where the flats are. The part shouldn't be much more that $5.00
Unless it's a beckett part, you'll have to trim it to length.
When you get it out make sure the oil pump spins freely.
How can I determine if it is the Coupler or the Pump?

Old 05-07-09, 07:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Flame Loss

A problem I've encountered with the clean cut pumps is the solenoid coil failing. I don't recall any noise associated with it but I'm usually not there until after it fails. If the coupling seems to be intact the solenoid coil would be my next suspect.

Old 05-08-09, 02:07 PM
R
Thanks to pfd27!

Sure enough it was the coupler! Took about 10 mins and $3.63 to fix the Burner thanks to PFD27. Really appreciate the help!

Old 05-08-09, 08:21 PM
P
I'm glad you got it fixed.

Old 05-09-09, 06:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Coupler

Good job
A slipping coupling can be pesky & until it fails, difficult to troubleshoot.

Good call pfd27.

Old 05-09-09, 01:42 PM
P
I had tons of slipping couplers this year for some reason.

Old 11-13-13, 09:13 AM
K
I also have the chirping sound in my Beckett Burner

I am glad I found this site. I was helped by reading earlier threads. Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: