My Gas Heater does not work.

Old 05-10-09, 10:14 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My Gas Heater does not work.

It works when I push down the starter and the heat volume but when i lift the heat volume after it starts the elements stop burning. Why?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-09, 07:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What do you mean by "pushing on the starter" and what is the "heat volume"? These aren't the correct terms, and I can't understand what you are describing.

Please try againto describe what you are observing.

Old 05-11-09, 05:09 PM
E
Do you have a red push button sparking device that lights the pilot, and then separately a knob that you first have to push in some, in order to allow you to turn the gas flame up? I'm just thinking a likely case would be a bad thermocouple device, that senses the flame.

It might be that if you do indeed get burner flame - but then it goes out upon turning up the volume, that by doing so, is causing a marginal pilot flame to pull away from the flame sensing device, due to the increased updraft. Sometimes all you have to do is fiddle with the thermocouple positioning some in relation to the pilot hood. Or increase the pilot flame size if there is an adjustment screw maybe hiding even under a cap screw. Or the pilot orifice might be plugged, yielding a weak flame insufficient to encapsulate the thermocouple as it should. If that is the case, you have to pull out the pilot assembly and clean out the tiny orifice.

I don't know your unit, but i'm giving a generic response that just might fit the bill.

Old 05-11-09, 06:25 PM
Your guess may be better than mine there, ecman. The "starter" might be a pizzo igniter for a pilot light.

I still can't figure out what the heat volume might be.

Perhaps we'll get a more detailed description of what's going on.

Old 05-11-09, 09:12 PM
K
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Do you have a red push button sparking device that lights the pilot, and then separately a knob that you first have to push in some, in order to allow you to turn the gas flame up? I'm just thinking a likely case would be a bad thermocouple device, that senses the flame.
Correct, this is it here
Gascraft Farina Heater Gas Cabinet - Search - Homepage - The Warehouse

Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
It might be that if you do indeed get burner flame - but then it goes out upon turning up the volume, that by doing so, is causing a marginal pilot flame to pull away from the flame sensing device, due to the increased updraft. Sometimes all you have to do is fiddle with the thermocouple positioning some in relation to the pilot hood. Or increase the pilot flame size if there is an adjustment screw maybe hiding even under a cap screw. Or the pilot orifice might be plugged, yielding a weak flame insufficient to encapsulate the thermocouple as it should. If that is the case, you have to pull out the pilot assembly and clean out the tiny orifice.
Sounds like it's worth a try, the pilot light should go out shouldn't it? what is a thermocouple and pilot hood?

Last edited by kiwis; 05-11-09 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-12-09, 03:56 PM
E
Your unit looks pretty boxy and enclosed. Can you easily get to where the gas valve and burner is?, so that you can tell us all that you see? For example -we all know you have a gas valve. But tell us about any small metal tubes and possible electrial wires that go from the gas valve or any other apparatus, into the burner compartment.

Normally a pilot that requires you to push a sparker button are to stay lit, always, until you actually turn the gas valve to it's OFF setting. If your pilot light goes out, that is why your burner is going off also - would be my initial guess -not knowing your unit specifically.

Not knowing yet what you will tell us - if say your sparker directly lights the burner directly without some pilot, you may have some flame sensor that is not working, or the gas/air mixture is not right, explaining why increasing the volume shuts it off. But we need to find out if it has a pilot and thermcouple first, or some other generator.

Old 05-12-09, 09:06 PM
K

Is this clear enough for you?

Old 05-12-09, 09:42 PM
K
One of the red wires you see had come loose thats all that was wrong

Old 05-13-09, 07:07 AM
E
So you fixed it? If so, this is my lucky day, where I don't have to think that much. Someone else fixed their problem on another thread this morning also, sparing me(us) from studying his photo of his schematic.

Did you find it when trying to take the phoots? Yes, they are nice clear photos. It looks like you have a pilot and thermocuple behind the center of the 3 burners. The loose red wire up high? may be a limit switch.