Where to check oil burner overdraft?

Old 01-11-10, 07:43 PM
Where to go from here?

Hi Grady:

Hope you didn't get hit too hard up there again. The "s" word here turned out to be . . . sunshine.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-10, 05:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Recap

As I understand things you now have heat with a breech draft of -0.02 (a bit low but ...) & a noisy pump. Correct me if I'm mistaken on any point.

Since we are now in the dead of winter, as long as you are getting a clean burn, I'd let sleeping dogs lie until the weather breaks. You might want to order yourself a new pump so you will have it on hand if the old Webster craps out. If I recall correctly, I showed a couple of links for pumps from Patriot Supply in earlier posts.

Old 01-12-10, 08:42 PM
A clean burn?

Let sleeping dogs lie. Wise words indeed. Are you in fact a southern gentleman? As I mentioned before, I'm just glad to feel heat. I'm not going to start screwing around with things now.

Allow me a brief update:

Both furnaces run (with your help, thank you).

Both furnaces have low/unmeasurable overfire draft.

Both furnaces have a low breech draft that hovers just under -0.02".

Both furnaces have high stack temps.

You mentioned a clean burn. I think I should have asked Santa for a smoke tester. That is the next step, right?

Thanks again for your help

Old 01-13-10, 05:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Southern Gentleman

No, I'm not a Southern Gentleman but thank you for the compliment. I do however speak the language since my wife is Georgian.

A smoke tester is indeed a valuable tool. I just checked e-bay & found a couple for just over $100. Here is a set of combustion gas analyzers. Granted they are the old "shaker bottle" style but the chemistry doesn't change. I used them for many years before getting an electronic analyzer & still use them once in a while to check the analyzer.
Lab BACHARACH Combustion Test Kit Gas Analyzer Kit - eBay (item 380160326653 end time Jan-17-10 20:59:51 PST)

Old 04-30-10, 08:53 PM
Hello again

Hello Grady and all,

How have you been? Is it OK to ask a few more questions here, or should I open a new thread? I had a hard time trying to login. It seems the rules have changed since I last posted.

Old 05-04-10, 06:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Lost Reply

Sorry Tank, I posted a reply very shortly after you posted your question but I guess it's lost in cyberspace.

Yes the rules have changed a bit. I got caught by surprise one night when I tried to log on.

Fire away with the questions. I'll do what I can.

Old 05-27-10, 07:07 PM
Hello again, again

Hi Grady,

How have you been? I should probably retire this thread, but if you don't mind I would like to ask just one or two more questions.

If you scroll back a few posts you'll recall that everything works, but nothing is quite right --- low drafts, high temps, etc. I guess my basic question is what next?

Old 05-28-10, 06:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What's next

The mental telepathy must be working. I was just last night wondering what had happened to you.
I've been fine, busy as a one armed paperhanger, but fine. Hope all is well in N.C.

As to what's next:
With that horizontal furnace & it's long vitrually flat pipe run, about the only thing you can do to improve the draft is install a draft booster fan. That suggestion presumes the chimney is not grossly over or under sized, is in good shape, etc.
The stack temp is high but not excessively so which should help improve the draft. (Pardon the seemingly rambling thoughts but I have to type as I think of something lest the thought goes away.) You could be and probably are loosing a lot of the heat before it gets to the chimney & actually heats the chimney thus increasing draft. Double wall (type L) pipe would help in that case. Reducing the air to the burner would also help with the overfire draft but that's not something you really want to monkey with without some combustion test gear.