Hunter thermostat problems

Old 06-20-09, 05:31 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hunter thermostat problems

Hi Guys,
I have a Hunter 44260 thermostat. Works great on heat and a/c. My problem is I am trying to just turn on the fan to circulate some air without turning on the a/c unit. I traced the green wire (the one that says it if the fan wire) down to the furnace and it has been cut for at least 9 years, as long as I have owned the house because I didn't do it! I tried connecting the green wires and I still can't get the fan to just come on by itself. If I turn on the a/c the fan will blow just like it is supposed to, same as the heat, it works perfectly in auto.
I know this is vague but this is basically what I have for a situation, does anybody have any ideas or suggestions to get the fan to turn on without the whole system coming on?
Thanks so much for any help, finally getting hot here in Cleveland!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-09, 03:21 PM
Did you check and see if G is hooked up at the t-stat itself?

Do you have a meter to check for power for us?

Old 06-22-09, 03:34 PM
X
The green wire is hooked up to the thermostat and there is no power to it. It is cut down in the basement and even if I connect the two cut green wires, there is no power to it. I need to go into the box on the furnace to see what if anything the green wire is hooked to. Frustrating, something that seems like it should be so simple is causing such a pain in the butt.
Good idea though, I will continue checking the wire to see what happens to it and get back to you.
Thanks for taking the time to respond, great website.
Joe B

Old 06-22-09, 04:19 PM
If you are not seeing power (24 volts) on G and C at the t-stat, then it's the t-stat itself, not the furnace..

If you put a wire between R and G at the furnace itself, the fan should come on.

FYI, Hunter t-stat are not the best t-stat out there.

Old 06-23-09, 04:41 AM
D
Let's talk about this. During the cooling cycle, the G circuit brings on the indoor fan. So if the G circuit wire is cut, how are they bringing on the fan? You're saying that the green wire is hooked up at the thermostat. What terminal is it on? I'll betcha they jumpered Y to G at the furnace.

Perhaps you missed the new installation procedure for Hunter thermostats:

1. place thermostat under the back of any tire on your car.

2. back the car up and for good measure also drive forward.

3. drive car to HD and buy a real thermostat like a Honeywell, Robertshaw or White-Rodgers.

I think the folks at Hunter sometimes forget to pack the updated instruction sheet in the box.

Old 06-23-09, 05:21 AM
Originally Posted by daddyjohn View Post
Let's talk about this. During the cooling cycle, the G circuit brings on the indoor fan. So if the G circuit wire is cut, how are they bringing on the fan?
Some furnace does not use G for cooling, it will see the Y, and run the speed that it's set for cooling, and ignores the G.

Old 06-23-09, 06:48 PM
D
Some furnace does not use G for cooling, it will see the Y, and run the speed that it's set for cooling, and ignores the G.

So how does manual fan work?

Old 06-23-09, 06:54 PM
When there is no call for heat, or cooling then the relay on the board will run the fan on fan speed.