modify LP Gas heater for LESS BTU ?

Old 09-11-09, 07:19 PM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
modify LP Gas heater for LESS BTU ?

I purchased a home that has a 70,000 BTU heater in a space (650sqft) that calls for a ~20,000 btu. It is an Empire RH-370 that runs on Propane. It cycles on/off very often and makes for very uncomfortable heat. I don't have the money to replace it, so I would like to modify it for less BTU output. Is this possible? I was thinking that I could change the existing burner to a burner from another ~25,000 BTU Empire Propane heater....or would I have to change the gas valve too?

Old 09-11-09, 08:31 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
This is really a question for your propane supplier. IF the furnace is a strictly atmospheric burner model then you could likely change the orifices to reduce the heat output or perhaps disable a burner if it has multiple burners. Disabling a burner might require repositioning of the flame sensor.

If this is a furnace with an induced draft fan (combustion exhaust blower) then it becomes much more problematic, probably to the point of a simple no, that cannot be done.

Pretty much it is up to the manufacturer and whether they approve of changing your particular model to a lower
BTU rating. Reducing the BTU rating can have disastrous results regarding the longevity of service.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: