Hallmark Warm Air furnace Model HBD 85

Old 09-23-09, 06:58 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hallmark Warm Air furnace Model HBD 85

I had the above reference furnace installed in October 2001 in a small home in northwest New Jersey. The fuel company that installed it was doing the annual maintenance today and discovered that the heat exchanger was cracked and so was the fire box. I did not expect such problems after nine years of use.

The Hallmark brochure indicates it has a "Limited Lifetime Warranty" but it does not explain what is "limited." The fuel company is planning to contact the manufacturer to see what is covered.

Is there some industry practice as to what is actually covered and for how long? How is Hallmark to work with on warranty repairs? Will they supply the parts and labor? Any information would be appreciated.

John

Old 09-23-09, 09:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Hallmark

The heat exchanger will be covered, not likely the chamber (unless it comes as part of the heat exchanger), labor costs will be your resposibility. The one I replaced under warranty was handled quite promptly & I'm not a Hallmark dealer. You will likely have to pay for shipping as well. Unless it is a difficult installation, 2-3 hours should be all that's needed to replace the heat exchanger.

Old 09-24-09, 06:56 AM
J
Hallmark

Thanks for your help. It doesn't give me a warm feeling about Hallmark furnaces if a major part cracked after 8 heating seasons. I thought it would last at least 25 years. I thought it was a top of the line product.

John

Old 09-24-09, 01:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hallmark

My guess is the ductwork is too small for the furnace output.
In 20+ years in the trade, I wouldn't be afraid to say of all the heat exchangers I've seen fail, less than 5% are not directly traceable to improper sizing &/or installation.

Old 09-26-09, 08:05 PM
J
Hallmark

I am afraid your guess is correct. The house is small five room colonial with two bedrooms on the second floor.

Is there anything I can do at this point so I do not face the same problem in another 8 years?

John

Old 09-27-09, 12:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Installation

Once the heat exchanger is replaced, ask the service tech to check the temperature rise across the heat exchanger. If not within spec he might be able to increase the fan speed, reduce the nozzle size, &/or cut in a register on the plenum to dump some of the heat. Presuming the furnace to be in the basement, the tech might be able to add some more return ductwork as well. Undersized ducts are far & away the most common of problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: