Furnace Blower Motor cuts out after a couple minutes

Old 09-23-09, 10:04 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Furnace Blower Motor cuts out after a couple minutes

My furnace blower motor stopped working. When I removed the cover to the furnace and then pushed the safety switch back in, the motor made a buzzing noise but did not turn. I replaced the motor with an identical motor. The motor starts right up, but after about two minutes it stops. If I open the cover and then re-push the safety switch the motor starts up again. Is there some circuit that needs replacing?

Old 09-23-09, 11:20 PM
M
Possibly a bad run cap. If you didn't change the capacitor when you changed the motor then that would probably be why. It's extremely preferable to change the motor and run cap at the same time.

Pick up the matching cap for your motor and swap out the old one if you haven't already.

Old 09-25-09, 08:56 PM
What safety switch are you referring to? The little red button on the motor itself? The door switch? The reset button for the burner unit on the 'primary'?

PS---normally, if a start capacitor is bad the motor won't start at all by itself, even if you push the reset button. Normally, if a run capacitor is bad it will show up once the start capacitor 'kicks out' so the motor will never actually stay running at all. Of course, there is always the exception.

I would look at my wiring and connections first. If this is the BLOWER MOTOR which sends the heat to your ducts I would make sure that the motor turns freely by hand (POWER OFF!) and has nothing restricting it.

If you are actually referring to the BURNER MOTOR and you have a 2 line oil system I would also make sure that the return line is open and a valve on it is not partially closed. If you are referring to the BURNER MOTOR it could very well be a problem with your primary relay (the gizmo with the little red button usually on top of it). Sometimes when the primary goes bad it hummmmmmmms and the burner motor won't come on and the buzzzzzing is actually coming from the primary, even though it sounds like the burner motor.

Let us know which 'motor' you are referring to please and what type of system you have if you are still having a problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: