Help with Rheem Imperial & Beckett Burner

Old 09-28-09, 09:12 AM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Rheem Imperial & Beckett Burner

I would like to say thank you in advance to anyone who can provide some assistance.

I have a Rheem Imperial HE furnace, combined heat pump and oil back up, (model ROBC -084QBEA) with a Beckett AFG Burner. I primarily run off auxiliary using the oil heat. Over the past two years I have had two different service companies come to service (yearly maintenance) the furnace and both have created huge problems for me. The first didn't realize it was a heat pump and oil combined, rather than asking me to turn on the thermostat to test the unit, he tried to jump it out, couldn't, and then proceeded to screw up the wiring trying to get it to run. The second did something to the nozzle assembly, such that it must have been incorrectly positioned in the tube because I had fuel leaking back from the burner nozzle into the cabinet. They twice replaced the nozzle to no avail. I eventually bought myself a Z gauge and repositioned the assembly, it has worked without leaking for the rest of last winter.

Now I have two questions:

1. The nozzle and electrodes have quite a sooty deposit on them. Is this normal? I am afraid I still do not have the assembly properly positioned. I know there would be the black glaze on the nozzle, but I am unsure of why I would have deposits on the electrodes. Also, they are black and blunt tipped. Anything I have seen regarding electrodes shows them to be pointed. These look like they may have been too far into the flame or just old?

2. I would prefer to clean the exchanger if I could, but I can't figure out how to access it. I read somewhere, that the flue box is removable for cleaning. Can anyone confirm this is the access point Also, there seems to be some type of gasket around that box. Are these usually a material that is reusable. In other words, can I just position the gasket on the box again and screw it back on after cleaning?

Old 09-28-09, 03:45 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The first thing I would do is call Rheem to try to get the manual for it.

101 Bell Rd
Montgomery, AL 36117-4305
(334) 213-3800

Old 09-28-09, 05:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Rheem

Rheems are notoriously nozzle critical. Be sure to use the nozzle as spec'd by the manufacturer. This information is usually on a sticker on the burner.

The electrodes are probably blunted due to wear.

The soot on the electodes is often due to poor draft or after-drip from the nozzle when the burner shuts down (again often an indication of poor draft).

Take that Z gauge, throw it in the nearest trash can & get a T-gauge. The proper setting of the 'Z' dimension requires the removal of the burner from the appliance.

The flue collector box is the access point for cleaning & the gasket is usually reusable. I use anti seez compound to hold it in place while reinstalling the the collector box but double sided tape or even school glue will work.

After cleaning, I suggest calling a service company to test the flue gas composition. When calling simply ask if they do electronic combustion analysis on oil burners. Keep calling different companies until you find one who knows what you are talking about.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: