single stage burner vs 2 stage burner

Old 10-01-09, 10:36 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
single stage burner vs 2 stage burner

have been looking at new furnaces could someone give me an idea on the difference's between the single stage burner and the 2 stage burners.

Old 10-01-09, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two stage furnace gives you better comfort/longer run time.

When a furnace is sized for a home, it's sized for the coldest temps, where most of the time you won't see those coldest temps all winter long.. Mostly mild/cold temps.. With a single stage furnace that is sized for the coldest temp are going to run a short cycle and may lead to cool spots in the home.

With a two stage furnace, the first stage is a lower heat output, and is ideal for most of our heating needs, and second stage (highest heat output) is on when you are recovering from temp set back, or extrem cold temps.

Ideal set up is a two stage furnace with a two stage t-stat. I'm not crazy about these "Smart-Board" that figures out when 2nd stage needs to come on.

Give you an example of my furnace. The furnace is a 60k furnace, the first stage is 39k and second stage is 60k.

Pretty much the whole time it's running first stage... When we see 0˚ the furnace pretty much runs non stop in first stage and the air flow is a soft heat coming out of the vents (not a blast of hot air) and if the t-stat see that first stage can't keep up, 2nd stage fires off to help recover and when the t-stat see it caught up and goes back to 1st stage.

My house is a '68 split level home and all the rooms/floor are -/+ 1˚ from each other.. With our old single stage.. it was not even that close in comfort!

Also on most two stage furnace, they come with a variable speed blower and that is also a big plus.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: