soft copper to garage furnace

Old 10-04-09, 01:36 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
soft copper to garage furnace

I need to hook up a furnace in the garage. I would like to T off of the 1/2" soft copper going to my oven.

My question is can I "T" off the soft copper and connect it to the yellow flex gas line,and is there any concerns with the two different types of line or should I continue to use the soft copper all the way.

Thanks

Old 10-04-09, 02:33 PM
M
You may need to call a plumber. I haven't seen two pieces of equipment share a 1/2" line in black, much less soft copper. The furnace will have it's own gas requirements, it needs X amount of water column to operate properly. You'll at the very least need to get somebody with the equipment to measure your gas pressure and the drop when the oven is running to even have a idea but I wouldn't consider it. At the very least I'd come off a 3/4 line, not a half inch one.

Run the extra pipe and do it right.

Old 10-04-09, 02:36 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
No, what you propose cannot be done. The 1/2 inch copper to your range is most likely large enough for the range only.

I don't know what you mean by "yellow flex gas line" but if you mean CSST (Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing) then it requires special fittings and also special training to make up the joints.

Is this a natural gas or propane installation?

Old 10-05-09, 02:52 PM
B
Thanks for the help. I just ran a 3/4" and left the 1/2" alone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: