burning smell from new gas heating system

Old 10-05-09, 10:55 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
burning smell from new gas heating system

I bought a house this summer, when temps were in the 90s. The day I moved in, we switched on the new Dukane central heating furnace just to make sure it worked. It did, but there was a burning smell. The agent I was with told me that it was probably just cos it was new and also the system in general hadn't been used for months.
Then, when the weather got cooler I tested it again. Again, there was the smell -- it's kind of like burning metal. Definitely not burning wood.
I am a single parent and know nothing about central heating systems, to be perfectly honest and frank with you. So my question is: 1) is this, as the agent said, normal? and 2) are there any basic tests I can perform to rule out/confirm certain causes of the burning smell?

I can supply more details if you want. one detail: the big flue thing that leads out of the furnace to the vents around the house -- it's partly held on by metal tape. I read in another thread that that's not good. did i read right?

Old 10-05-09, 11:37 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
A new furnace is sprayed with rust preventative at the factory to protect it during shipping and storage prior to installation. It is entirely normal for this preservative to smell for an hour or two when the furnace is first used. Just have the windows open to allow for some ventilation for the first couple of hours of operation. Of course if you had known this you would have done it during the summer but...

The heat supply ductwork should have all the joints sealed. Best is a mastic but foil tape is almost as good. Cloth "duck" tape is not the proper tape. If you have metallic tape it is good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: