Need help with AC/Heating Damper Mobile Home

Old 10-08-09, 06:53 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help with AC/Heating Damper Mobile Home

Help! My wife and I just purchased an older mobile home in an established community. There is an old outside ColemanCentral Air unit (which I've had people working on) and a brand new Coleman Oil Furnace inside. When the AC works I get very low output from all the vents (9-10 total). The furnace is working great and I get tons of heat/air flow in the bathroom and (2) bedroom vents. But I am getting very little flow to all the rest of the home. Note: The furnace is in a closet in between the 2 areas described. I can see the ductwork (and it looks relatively new12-14" insulated flex hose) from an access panel outside and one section goes to the good area and one to the poor area but both duct systems seem to be ending in the AC area. I am assuming that when the AC runs, some kind of damper closes off the heating and that this is where my problem lies. But I need some kind of typical diagram to know what I should be looking for. I have a really bad back and I'm going to have to try to go under the home ONCE only, taking anything I might need with me. It's very tight under there.

Does anyone have a URL of where I can see a typical damper setup? Why do both legs of the ducting seem to dead head in the AC? How does the heat flow to there? Are Mobile Homes done differently? Since I am getting good heat on one side but not the other could the damper only be partially opening? Sorry for all the questions but I've never worked on one before. I am very skilled mechanically and can usually figure most things out but I was hoping to have a solid plan going in. Money is tight and I can't afford to pay the exhorbinant prices these guys want but winter will soon be upon us. Thanks

Old 10-08-09, 03:32 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I don't believe there will be any kind of damper control to divert the air differently between heat and a/c out the registers. Not if the same registers are used for heat or a/c. And in old trailers they did nothing fancy like that. (Like put heat only registers low, and then have separate a/c registers high, or any such stuff.)

Either you have an issue where when you set the stat to cool, that you are not getting any or incomplete contact, to allow the blower to run or fully run -or -the low blower fan speed wire was hooked up to the a/c control board terminal instead of the high speed wire - or the high speed winding in the motor is shot.

That is what I think, anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: