Help with 2 Diamond 80 York Furnaces burners won't stay on

Old 10-08-09, 03:49 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with 2 Diamond 80 York Furnaces burners won't stay on

Hi there, we've got a problem with both furnaces. The ignitor starts, flame goes on but shuts off after a few seconds. Read boards, took out the sensor on each cleaned them off, put them back same problem.
Now on 1 of them, when thermostat is turned to 80' the blower won't even turn on.
Earlier in summer we had problems with electric and removed one of the fuse plates. Is it possible some of furnace wiring is not connected? Could the blower and ignitor be on one wire and something else that keeps it running on a different one? It seems strange that both had the same problem.
Please help, thanks so much.

Old 10-08-09, 04:12 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Did you try to shut off the furnace that has the blower that no longer comes on, to see if resetting it at least restores that function?

Have you searched to see if on any device that furnace has, that there is not a tiny reset button? Or if the control board has a fuse?

Do you own a multi-meter?

Old 10-08-09, 04:32 PM
G
Did you try to shut off the furnace that has the blower that no longer comes on, to see if resetting it at least restores that function?

Yes we did try that. The blower still won't turn on. We didn't touch anything else that we know of. The screw to remove it was quite difficult to take out. But I dont think we damaged anything else.

Have you searched to see if on any device that furnace has, that there is not a tiny reset button? Or if the control board has a fuse?

I don't see either one. Is there a location in the furnace they are most often found?

Do you own a multi-meter?

No we don't.

Old 10-08-09, 04:54 PM
E
Furnaces have a limited number of exposed parts. It is not hard to see them all. None are hidden.

To give you an idea, some furnaces have limit switches that have tiny pin-looking buttons between the device's 2 wires. Or a similar looking device out in front of the burner called a flame roll out switch. A furnace that I used to work on had a device mounted to the side of the inside of the furnace with that same tiny pin-like reset button. The location of any such device is in the big door compartment where the burner and inducer fan is - not the other smaller compartment where the big house blower is.

If a furnace does not function at all, you have to know if power is getting to the furnace (check the fuse or breaker in the panel box), and that the blower door cover on the furnace is on correctly, so that an interlock saftety switch gets engaged. That is the second spot in the wiring sequence, after the entry of the wiring through the either hardwire entry hole or into the switch, if you have one, mounted on the outside of the furnace. Make sure breaker (or fuse) and switch are on. Also that nothing looks out of the ordinary with the reading on the thermostat, that you have it calling for heat. And that you override any program on the stat, in case that is an issue. And that a small often 3 amp fuse is not blown on the main control board.

It really does pay to own an inexpensive multimeter as they are worth more than their weight in gold.

Last edited by ecman51; 10-08-09 at 05:04 PM. Reason: reread my post as I have been adding more to it
Old 10-08-09, 05:17 PM
G
Thanks for the suggestions, I did look for the reset button but don't see it, and all my helpers took off on me, so it looks like tomorrow we will pick it back up. I'm sure I'll be back asking questions tomorrow afternoon.
Did you know if it's possible that the ignitor and blower are on a separate electrical wire than (something???) that would keep the main flame on?

Old 10-08-09, 06:13 PM
E
Ignitors have their own ignition control module. The blower power takes another path.

The inducer blower is wired between the 24 VAC of the thermostat, and 120 volt line power, going to the inducer. There is a contactor operation that must take place (in a relay) to allow the 24VAC, when acknowledged by the cal for heat at the stat, to then let 120 volts go to the inducer.

But I should have asked you earlier: This blower you are talking about, including in your first post - is it the inducer blower?, or the blower that blows hot air through the regsiters. I assumed it was the inducer the way you put it in the first post.

Old 10-08-09, 07:54 PM
G
I was talking about the register blower. Didn't even know there was another. I went back down again and checked it out and opened the bottom panel and saw the push in button for the fan, held it down and the blower went back on. Now for some bizarre reason when I replace the panel it won't hold the button down far enough to keep the blower running. I put both panels back on made sure the blower was on, but still have the same ignitor goes on , burner flame goes on, looks like they are all flaming but then it shuts itself down again. It does the same thing every few minutes.

Old 10-09-09, 09:05 AM
E
Okay. Then what does that other blower do that exhausts the burned gas out the pvc? pipe? Does that start up first prior to the ignition?, and stay ruinning the whole time? And when the flame then goes out, does that inducer blower motor also go out?, or does that keep going? You can leave off the big furnace cover to observe flame and listen to the inducer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: