Magic Chef Furnace Blower won't start

Old 10-10-09, 07:31 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Magic Chef Furnace Blower won't start

I have a 20+ year old forced air magic chef furnace.

Today, I was able to start the furnace and blower ran once when set at auto, but later the blower didn't start any more. The furnace burns and the fan limit control clicked ( I guess it was trying to engage the blower motor) when it tried to start the blower, but blower didn't go at all. Then I set blower to ON instead of AUTO, it didn't go. I opened the lower compartment, the blower seemed sealed, I saw metal casing and didn't see any belt which I can pull.

Any ideas?

Last edited by bill168; 10-10-09 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-10-09, 08:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
Does the blower wheel spin freely with power removed?
If it will, and you are getting power to your motor, you may only need a capacitor.

I can see it strapped to your blower in your pic. Match microfarad and voltage of your old cap. My example is a 5MFD 370VAC cap.

Capacitors can hold a charge for 2 or 3 minutes after removing power. It would be safe to wait 5 minutes after removing power before handling your cap.

Old 10-10-09, 09:06 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The blower wheel does not spin when power is removed. I even tried to spin it from the side, as you can see from the picture, I don't have much room. Maybe there are some other ways to spin it? Is there other way to check?

Thanks

Old 10-10-09, 09:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
You need to replace motor and capacitor.

Old 10-11-09, 01:15 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Does that motor have oiling pots? I have 'saved' motors already that have seized, by lubing them first, and then 'working' the blower cage/spinning them by hand, or even with a powerful 1/2 inch drill for a while, with the blower assembly out on the floor. Can't guarantee this will work, but worth a try, if $75-125 means much to you, or not.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: